Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 19, 2008, 11:56 PM   #1

This is an expirement in night photography. This shot was taken just after dark at f3.5, 20seconds, ISO 100, with a +0.3 Step Exposure compensation. Very little post editing - a slight run through unsharp mask, and levels adjustment.

The ships wheel is from a friend's bathroom - hauled to the beach in the car.

I had a hard time getting clarity of focus on the ships wheel - with the motion of the waves. And I think the wind may have effected the camera, though I obviously used a tripod. I had to have a flashlight beam on the wheel to get the focus, then lock and shoot.

Attached Images

lostgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2008, 4:00 AM   #2

hey there..

nice idea you have there.

but I'm having a very hard time understanding here.

"ship wheel at night"?? It's seems so bright (looks like an afternoon / late evening shot). I'm not sure about there in the USA but here where I come from just after dark seem very dark skies to me.

thats the only comment I have on it. Other than that... it's a very nice shot and as I said earlier, very nice/interesting idea you have there.
hazmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2008, 11:18 AM   #3

It is amaing, the amount of light that is recorded, even after dark when the
shutter is open for 20 seconds.

I agree with hazmy, it is a nice shot and a very interesting idea. Inspires me to do
some night shots again. I haven't done any since the 1980's with a Minolta X700 kit.
I think I'll take out the digital equipment tonight.

ScottSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2008, 3:30 PM   #4

Nice shot, although as said before, night should look like night

and day look like day..................musket.
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2008, 6:39 PM   #5

Thanks for the feedback, all. Yes, night pictures always surprise me - 20 seconds let's in a lot of light. And it was just after dark - probably within 30 minutes of dark. I was going for the soft-water effect, so didn't mind that night looked like day. But, I was surprised by the color quality.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 5:41 AM   #6

Amusing discussion here about 'after dark'!

Even without exposure time variation, which can do a lot, it depends on your latitude, and the season & the weather. Here in the UK, about 50 degrees North, the rule of thumb for 'lighting-up time', when you need to switch on vehicle lights, used to be '30 minutes after sunset'. This was never avery sensible rule, but it gives an idea of typical conditions in temperate latitudes, and I use it when judging whether I'll be benighted on an evening walk. The sun glides gracefully to the horizon & below round here. At the equator it dives.

But in summer in Shetland, our most northerly region,it never goes properly dark in midsummer. In Iceland, not far south of the Arctic circle, 'Gisli' in 'Landscape Photos'...
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...amp;forum_id=8
...will have lots & lots of time at present for his wonderful night shots of the aurora, but very little sunshine.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 8:38 AM   #7

However much light there is thats a nice haunting photo. Very creative, just my kind of girl. Well done.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 11:14 AM   #8

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
...a nice haunting photo. ,,,
Dead right. I should have added something like that. Reminds of many real wrecks I've visited on various beaches, all of which have sad stories to tell.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 8:20 PM   #9

Really like the shot and the fact that it is just one exposure and not (nothing against photo editing) two shots photo edited together make it even better (IMO). As for the title of the picture,the name ofa picture can always be changed but missing a perfect shot can't be changed.:G
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 10:08 PM   #10

Thanks for the positive feedback.

I love photoshop (play it like a game, sometimes), but you're right, Calicajun, there is nothing like a shot that you love right out of the camera. Even more, when a shot you plan comes together in one frame.