Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 23, 2008, 12:16 AM   #1

Hi im brand new to this forum and photography in general. I just got a Canon Powershot A720 IS for Christmas. I've tooken a few pics what do you think of them. The Dried flower shots were taken on top of a piano (because I don't have a backdrop yet) and with a standard lamp. (used wax paper as diffuser)

P.S. Be brutally honest cause I wanna improve!

By trevor3999, shot with Canon PowerShot A720 IS at 2008-01-22

trevor3999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2008, 12:31 AM   #2

There I finally figured out how to put them on to this website.

thanks in advance for any feedback
Old Jan 23, 2008, 4:31 AM   #3

Nice Trevor I love the colours.

Neil.....

Neil Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2008, 11:52 AM   #4

Great start to photography Trevor...Your colors are good and the shots interesting...
One thing you might want to consider with closeups and especially flower closeups, watch your DOF...To shallow will ruin the shot...You want people to see as much of the flower in focus as you can...Shadows and angles of the petals really make the picture...Having just the center or one or two petals of the flower in focus wouldn't be to interesting for me...Just my opinion though...:G
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2008, 8:28 PM   #5

must say good work . i lived in white rock for a short time . shot lots of sunsets at black spit beach . i have a few in the landscape form ,proshow gold slideshow . and welcome to the site . :G rick
oakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 8:47 AM   #6

Trevor,

Nice color and clean simple composition (which I LIKE!). The flowers are nice. The bunny makes me laugh. (I think if that bunny came to life he would be a teenager!! Mine loves to lean into photos about like that. Especially when uninvited.)

I agree with John at the Beach on the Depth of Field (DOF). Starting out on a higher f-stop (larger #) will help.If memory serves me correctly you only have a small range of f-stops on the Canon Powershot, but I know there is a Manual Mode and Av mode and Tv mode. I would choose Av and try bracketing - shoot the same shot at each f-setting you haveand then analyse the difference.

I would also consider using a reflector to experiment with some different lighting looks. I sometimes just take a large sheet of white foam board and use it to reflect a touch of extra light back on the subject in the opposite direction of my light.

Keep up the good work, and the good postings.

lostgirl
lostgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 2:10 AM   #7

thanks for the feedback!
I use fully manual on my camera (i guess im a control freak) i totaly forgot about aperture on some of my pics.
im planning on retaking them on a proper backdrop and proper camera settings.
I wish i could afford an SLR camera, its hard for a 14 year old to spend that much money though
Old Jan 25, 2008, 12:10 PM   #8

muat say at 14 yrs old great work you have lots of time to get all the neat stuff . i wish i started that young . i posted proshow gold in landscape the sunsets are white rock area and vancouver island . keep up the good work kid your good . rick

:|
oakey is offline   Reply With Quote