Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 3, 2008, 9:34 AM   #1

Got boredin the middle ot thenight (2am) and thought of messing about with the camera.

All shot taken with:

EOS 400D + Sigma 17-70mm @ 70mm, exp 20sec @ f/8

Manual Mode, Manual Focus, Canon Picture Styles "Clear"

Lighting: 1 LED White flashlight and 1 standard yellow penlight

No. 1: Using White LED
Attached Images

hazmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2008, 9:36 AM   #2

No. 2: Light painting of subject using penlight

Please C&C.. Thanks
Attached Images

Old Feb 3, 2008, 6:56 PM   #3

Both good shots, really like the look of the second one.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2008, 1:34 AM   #4

Calicajun wrote:
Quote:
Both good shots, really like the look of the second one.
Thanks for the comments..
Old Feb 4, 2008, 3:12 PM   #5

This is product photography. The most difficult to do. But as something to use as an example a good way to improve your photography. You have a problem with focus and lighting in both pics. Since its indoor shooting you have all the time in the world for your exposure so make it long and use a small aperture so you have the greatest depth of field. Look through the viewfinder before you shoot and actually look at the product(s). Are they lit properly the way YOU want them? Would someone looking at the pic be inspired to buy them? Would you buy them? After you answer these and probably other questions along this line then press the shutter.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2008, 7:26 PM   #6

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
This is product photography. The most difficult to do. But as something to use as an example a good way to improve your photography. You have a problem with focus and lighting in both pics. Since its indoor shooting you have all the time in the world for your exposure so make it long and use a small aperture so you have the greatest depth of field. Look through the viewfinder before you shoot and actually look at the product(s). Are they lit properly the way YOU want them? Would someone looking at the pic be inspired to buy them? Would you buy them? After you answer these and probably other questions along this line then press the shutter.
Thanks for your comments and advice Bynx. As usual you are one of my regular commenters..

By the way, since we're on the topic.. what would be the recommended f stop to use in this type of photography? Since I'm a newbie into photography, would you care to comment on the lighting in your perspective? To me it look alright (on my monitor) but an outsiders point of view would come in handy in the future (i'm sure goin to try this again)

Another thing, i do not own a studio lighting kit (as you can see i only made use of flashlights for this shoot) so for this type of mini shoots (for practice purposes not actualy commercial photography) would it be better to go for the yellow (tungsten) or white LED flashlight? Just was wondering cause i've no experience with this.

Anyway, thanks for your time and valuable advice. Hope to hear from you soon.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 8:25 PM   #7

First off there is no set fstop to give you a specific depth of field for product or any other type of photography. It depends on product size in this case. You want all the product in sharp focus. All the type should be razor sharp. You want to almost feel you can touch, smell or taste the product. Whether you are shooting for fun or for actual product photography the effort you put into it should be exactly the same. To create the best possible picture. As for the lighting you want the bottles to be evenly lit from whatever means you are using. For example you dont want to point your flashlight on the left or right bottle and leave the middle and other bottle to be in the dark or dark on top or dark on the bottom. Evenly lit or lit in such a way which best illustrates the product or subject should be your aim. I believe there is a post here regarding the use of a lightbox which contains a materials list and how to construct it. It is simple and easy to use for exactly what you have shot here. In my opinion you want to use white light if possible, but it doesnt matter what kind of light you are using since you can easily fix that in photoshop. There is color temperature involved with light but Im not getting into the technical aspects of your post at this time.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 9:19 PM   #8

Thanks for your opinions and knowledge imparted.. very valuable to me.. maybe as i experience more i'll understand clearer and improve.

For tis particular shot though.. I was goin for the creative lighting effect. Maybe could have better...
Old Feb 4, 2008, 9:33 PM   #9

I like your colorful creative light as well as the background effect with your swirls of light. Id just like to see the light distributed better as well as better focus. In the second picture for example, the type on the left bottle is in reasonable focus while the focus drops off as we move to the right. I will give it a shot in a few minutes and post a pic here what I mean. I hope you dont mind.

Ok I set this up. I only had 2 matching bottles but you should get the idea. Its illuminated by a lightbulb from behind as well I used the built-in flash for the front. The stripes of light from behind were from the cooling slots in the bulb holder. They looked ok so I built my exposure around those. Whats your thoughts?
Attached Images

Old Feb 4, 2008, 9:55 PM   #10

no problem..

that's why i'm here to learn..

hehe.. by the way, what time is it there?