Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 10, 2008, 6:37 AM   #1

Hello All,

I'd really love your comments and critiques on these 3 photos, which were all taken a few months apart. Camera: Canon 350D.

Photo 1.

Autumn (May 2007). This is my wife, Tundi, at a beach just south of Adelaide, South Australia. A typical autumn day, temperature in the mid 20's (Celsius).... lovely mild breeze blowing.

I realise that there are probably blown highlights on her white top, but I felt this exposure was needed to balance getting enough the darker areas of the photo bright enough... But other comments / hints for improvement / your thoughts?

Edit... the lens I used was my 50mm prime f1.8 at f3.5, and ISO 100.

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2008, 6:41 AM   #2

Photo 2.

Winter (August 2007).

We were at a water reservoir / nature area, in north east area of Adelaide.

I personally think the yellow flowers in the green grass serve as an effective background to this portrait. Although August is technically still winter here in Australia, as you can see spring comes early! And winter isn't cold... temperatures around (plus) 18 degrees Celsius.

lens: 50mm f1.8 prime at f2.5, so that's 80mm on my Canon DSLR, being a popular portrait length.

Paul
Attached Images

Old Feb 10, 2008, 6:50 AM   #3

Photo 3.

Summer, January 2008.

This was a warm day on Granite Island, at Victor Harbor, about 1 hr south of Adelaide, where a protected colony of Fairy Penguins live. (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granite_Island_%28Australia%29)

It was also actually the 2nd day of my parents' visit to us in South Australia (from Tasmania, about 2000km away). So we enjoyed showing them some local attractions.

But back to the photo... Tundi really likes this green top she picked up new for $3 (bargain!) and I also like it on her.

This time the lens used was my Canon 28-135mm zoom lens, at 70mm f5.6. I love this lens, it's my general purpose "walk around lens" - and I believe I have a good copy, especially sharp when stopped down from 1 to 2 f-stops from wide open. Wide open is still "quite sharp and good enough for 90% of purposes".

I'd appreciate your comments and technical advice on all these photos. :idea:

Furthermore I'm interested which photo you like best, and why.

Thanks in advance for your critiques.

Paul

Attached Images

Old Feb 14, 2008, 7:09 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Paul,

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I'm worn out from a busy few days so was about to go to bed but will comment on these tomorrow. Just to say they are lovely, although not sure if there is something in the PP on the last shot making look like you've tried to bring an oof/soft photo back.

Anyway Tundi is looking beautiful (but you knew that) and I would say that ................... is my fave LOL, I will tell you when I write again and give some more info.

Have a great day both of you!!

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 2:59 AM   #5

Dear Paul, guess there are only three seasons there in Adelaine, like here in Izmir:-) Ah, winter stops and it is summer within a few weeks!

Well,it seems as if the picturesareput in the order of my like!!#1 being my fave due to the cool smile on the distinguished subject whose body is nicely modelled by the natural lighting. The shallow DOFhinting the eye pleasing backgroundnaturecomplements the nature of the lady perfectly wellThe background in #3 is also very nice, but a bit much stark imo! Btw, I should also mention that I quite likedthe point of view #2, which calls for special jury prize : )
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 9:12 AM   #6

I have to agree with Bahadir, I also like the first shot the facial expression is great. Although i think the exposure of your wides blouse is ok, if you did want to reduce the brightness you could try burn the blouse in Photoshop to try and bring back a little detail, or alternatively carry out a levels adjustment and then mask out the blouse.

Great stuff regardless.

Matt

Visit my photoblog at:

http://www.imagespike.wordpress.com
longside1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 4:54 PM   #7

I like them all but have to agree with the others in liking the first one best - the angle and pose combined with the out of focus backdrop just do it for me. But she is very pretty in all of them.
Geoff Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 4:58 PM   #8

All lovely shots...............musket.
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2008, 6:21 AM   #9

Hello All,

Sorry I have not made time to reply to your generous comments... but I will do now!

-----------------------

Mark,

Well.. I'm waiting for your "tomorrow comments"... What were you up to that you were worn out from? Travelling? Away? Work? Looking forward to further words from you, mate!

-----------------------

Bahadir,

Yes, there is not a real winter here... thankfully as I much prefer the warmer weather. Summer lasts about half of the year in a way (October to end of April).

I'm intrigued that you found the photos to be in order of your liking! Thanks for your kind comments... I also like photo 1, a special quality to it. The sea actually was very blue in #3, but yes, perhaps it not the most subtle for a portrait. Photo 2 very much captures spring ... the time of romance? :-)

-----------------------

Hello Matt,

well agreeing with Bahadir is often a good thing! I must learn to burn (rhyme intended), as I must admit I've only done very limited things like this in Photoshop.... thanks your compliments on photo 1. When I have some time I migh try your suggestion.. Thanks (also for your kind "great stuff regardless" note too!)

-----------------------

Hi Geoff,

Good to get a Londoner's perspective. As I lived in London (Isle of Dogs for 4 years and South Croydon for 2 years) there probably is a connection!

Thank you for commenting and for acknowledging her beauty. Of course I'm biased... but I'm very blessed with her in more ways than aesthetic beauty! Glad you're also giving photo 1 the vote #1

-----------------------

And Musket: hello!

Thank you for your generous commentary too, much appreciated to receive your some kind words from "bonnie Belfast"!

Cheers,

Paul
Old Mar 16, 2008, 5:09 AM   #10

hi paul

i hope all is well

Shots 1 and 2 are brilliant,

You have taken advantage of the beautiful lighting in both shts. Love the foilage in shot 2. Great backing.

great shots mate

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote