Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 17, 2008, 11:01 AM   #1

I have taken quite a few recent shots of our cat - personally this is one of my favourites. I have just resized this and not fiddled with it to preserve it in it's orig state for analysis.

Nikon D80/Sigma 17-70

I would appreciate any input

Thanks
Attached Images

Geoff Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2008, 8:04 PM   #2

Nice photo! The only thing I'd recomend would be to have asimplier background, as this oneis a little distracting.
Jfserama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2008, 3:45 AM   #3

Jfserama wrote:
Quote:
Nice photo! The only thing I'd recomend would be to have asimplier background, as this oneis a little distracting.
I have to agree with the above, due to the contrasting colours of the background and the cats fur attention is focused away from the main subject - the cat.

I personally think that this shot could be improved by cropping further. Think about the rule of thirds, although this theory of composition is more commonly used on landscape shots, the same principle works for portraits.

Cropping the image to remove some of the backround and restore the rule of thirds would compositionly help this shot a great deal.

I also appreciate your intention not to post process this shot but again I think the shot could benefit from a slight contrast lift and saturation boost to really bring out the colour and detail of the cats fur.

Hope this helps...beautiful cat by the way!

Sorry, I couldn't resist heres a very quick edit showing what I mean, I hope you don't mind!

Check out my photoblog at:

http://www.imagespike.wordpress.com
longside1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2008, 5:02 AM   #4

That's cool - and very interesting too. It's good to get input from others. Obviously, at the time I just grabbed the shot - not much time for changing the background - so that is best done afterwards. As for the colour - neither is best really - in mine it is how he looks and that is usually my aim, however - the extra saturation does give the image a lift - provided we are not trying to be accurate
Old Feb 21, 2008, 5:11 AM   #5

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Quote:
That's cool - and very interesting too. It's good to get input from others. Obviously, at the time I just grabbed the shot - not much time for changing the background - so that is best done afterwards. As for the colour - neither is best really - in mine it is how he looks and that is usually my aim, however - the extra saturation does give the image a lift - provided we are not trying to be accurate
Very true Geoff, clearly my edit has exagerated the original image.

If you didn't want to edit the shot to the extent that I did, after looking at the histogram of your shot in Photoshop it is clear that a great deal of pixel data is missing, resulting in a somewhat flat shot.

This could be corrected using curves, with the result being a more detailed and accurate representation of your feline friend!

Hope these tips are helpful.

Check out my photoblog at:

http://www.imagespike.wordpress.com

longside1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2008, 11:20 AM   #6

Fiddling with the curves with the histogram - and then fine tuning the saturation - I came up with this even closer to the real thing image - the top image is the orig. and the bottom is the altered one. I didn't attempt to change the background - it's tricky and I would most likely loose the edge of the fur detail in the process.

Cropping is a good idea as well

Thanks again

(Actually - I still like the orig best - I can't really see anything wrong with it)

Attached Images