Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 15, 2008, 7:44 PM   #1

Here are a few images from my first set of outdoor shots from a new Olympus E-510. The lighting conditions were pretty brutal and difficult to get a good image exposure due to motion of the Merry-Go-Round but overall I think these came out prety good. No way I could have gotten these with my old S-60. A quality dSLR really does give you almost an unfair advantage over a P&S. Of course the tradeoff for a shot like this is DOF from a wide aperture but I think these two make a good series if not individual shots.
Attached Images

TBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2008, 7:47 PM   #2

next one
Attached Images

Old Mar 15, 2008, 8:13 PM   #3
Administrator

I don't comment on a lot of photos. But, I happend to glance at your post and figured I'd say hello and put in "my two cents worth" (if it's worth that much). ;-)

As I'm sure you can see, at your aperture setting of f/5, with that subject framing, your depth of field is going to be too shallow to get both of them in focus. So, you'd have to make a choice (unless you want to use different camera settings).

If you really wanted to make that choice, my preference would be the focus on the younger girl's face, with the softer background for the other person (mother?). That has more impact to my eyes.

Another problem you've got is dynamic range (the range of bright to dark the camera is capable of capturing). Your particular camera model is going to be a bit "finnicky" in this area (a bit lower dynamic range than most other dslr models for highlight range, if you have properly exposed midtones).

As a result, you've got blown highlights in the girls face ("hot spots", with areas too bright to retain any detail), as well as slight underexposure in the background.

You may get slightly better results in harsher lighting shooting in raw. But, a better solution to both the dynamic range and depth of field issues would to be use a fill flash for this type of image.

That way, you'd help to equalize the lighting between both of the subjects you're interested in, wtihout one underexposed and the other with parts that overexposed).

That would also allow you to use a smaller aperture (higher f/stop number), for example f/8 or f/11. So, you'd have greater depth of field to help get both subjects in focus (if that's what you wanted to do).

You couldn't really do that well without a flash for this photo. That's because your shutter speed was already down to 1/80 second at ISO 400. Using a smaller aperture (higher f/stop number) would have reduced shutter speed even more (and it was already too slow for a sharp photo of people unless they're motionless).

So, I'd suggest using a flash for fill if you're shooting this type of image for better results, where you have too much range from bright to dark for the camera to capture, as well as a problem with shutter speeds (a bit too slow for people if you don't want motion blur), and limited depth of field that wouldn't let you get both subjects in focus.

That last part is subjective. I think an image of the younger girl in focus with the woman in the background softer would work well for it, too (or, even the other way around if the blown highlights in the girl's face were not there).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2008, 8:24 PM   #4
Administrator

P.S.

I like the composition. But, I'd try to say something funny to get them to smile. The looks on their faces is a bit too serious for that setting. They don't look like they're having much fun. ;-)

Old Mar 15, 2008, 9:21 PM   #5

Thanks for the very thorough and thoughtful feedback. Unfortunately a flash that would do the job is not in the cards presently since I just sprung for the camera. I did buy the camera knowing that it had a reputation for relatively lower DR but traded that off for some of the other features. Coming from the P&S world, I am still amazed that I was able to get what I did given the conditions with the kit lenses. Having the camera for less than a week I definitely still have a lot to learn about the SLR world. A flash is next on my list. Once that happens I'm going to refer back to your post for the suggestions presented.

BTW: your opinion was defintely worth more than two cents and regarding the lack of a smile, I'll have to get them to work on that.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 9:34 PM   #6
Administrator

Try the onboard flash. I think that would have resulted in a better image in this case because of the very harsh lighting conditions.

Old Mar 15, 2008, 9:39 PM   #7

I didn't think with an effective FL of 200mm that I was in range for the flash but I suppose it couldn't have hurt to try. Next time I'm at the shore I'll try againthen see if I can dig up this thread to post the results for cmparison. Thanks again for your thoughtful comments. Sometimes people get offended on these type of forums but when I post something like this my hope is to get an honest critical assessment so I can learn more. There is a wealth of knowledge hereon this forum on which I am hopingto caplitalize.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 9:41 PM   #8
Administrator

I'd move a bit closer if you're out of range when conditions permit.

Old Mar 15, 2008, 10:08 PM   #9

Here is my take on it. Just use the best of both worlds.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2008, 4:59 AM   #10

shot 2 is nice

if it were me this would be the shot i would try to come away with. I think its a nice blend of isolation yet togetherness. Gives the image nice depth.

Tints and tones appear alot more appealing in this shot also.

DOF can work against you in shots with SLR but i think in this instance (shot 2) it works nicely.

As done by someone else a post process merge of the 2 shots could be done is a hi fstop wasnt possible

nice one

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote