Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 21, 2008, 6:53 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
bahadir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Izmir, Turkey
Posts: 6,263
Default

surfnron wrote:
Quote:
I like the hdr version. I see lot's of hdr shots that are way over the top. Yours looks very nice ~ Ron
Thank you Ron!That's theimpression I was looking forward to obtaining : )

.................................................. ..................

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
The details you have captured in the HDR version makes it my favorite. Both shots are good but I choose the standout. Well done Bahadir.

Oh, 'standout'... I liked that:-) Thank you for the encouraging feedback, Bynx!Actually, my fave is the very one ; )

.................................................. ..........

musket wrote:
Quote:
Nice shot and scene, although the rule of thirds seems to be lacking

I thought I'd try an edit to see the difference and came up with this
Thank you for your kind appreciation and theedit suggesting the kind of cropping coming from your good taste : )

Actually Iventured to attainsome kind of balance here depending on the strenght of the lightsource (the setting sun*)and the mass ( the part of the wavy sidewalk in the opposite corner retaingsome reflections from it* -however pale it might seem!-) ,alas, which seemsnot to have showed up enoughto take overthe rule of the thirds, you are right to remind about :roll:
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 6:54 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
bahadir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Izmir, Turkey
Posts: 6,263
Default

Neil Wharton wrote:

Quote:
Really nice bahadir I love the HDR version better the colours seem to be a lot stronger.


Glad to readtheincentive feedback from someone whose tasteful works we often see here : ) Actually, trying to push the light, colours and details in a single image to catch up the HDR tend to cause halos, clippings and such artefacts! So, the HDR is the way to takeunder suchlighting conditions,providing, of course, onetakes the risk of obtainingunnaturallook at times!

As fordiscarding some rules; as far as you have good cause and aware of what exactly one is violating:!:surely one should go for it! RememberThomas Gainsborough's(18th century artist)painting 'The Blue Boy' in which he went against the teaching of the academia of his age which required the warm colours put at the foreground andcool colours at the background to attain the sense of depth...Oh, in fact, I'ddie to:-) apply the compositional wit of the High RenaissanceVenetian artists whowouln't hesitate to put the masses which could be regarded as lopsided but then maintained the balance in composition by means of colour, attaininga sense of flow and thus a dynamism also!

.................................................. .....................................

Alex wrote:

Quote:
Bahadir, I like the HRD version very much you have done an excellent job on this shot, the only thing I would do and that is to crop the photo, not sure what that is in the left corner, but crop that out and I think you will have a very nice photo for the wall my friend.
Thank you for letting me know your esteemed opinion Sir AlexActually, I initially considered doing some cropping offjob on the lefthandside but couldn't dare to touch the completeness of the cloud hindering the top of the mountain,whosefar end, also, catching the light from the setting sun...Stilltry your advice for a prospective hanger!

Btw, anyone has an advise for a A3 printer?? : )

.................................................. ....................................



Calicajun wrote:
Quote:
Nice work on the HDR, looks like it came right out of the camera. Well except for the Sun seems to have moved just a bit on you.
Thank you! Reading that the HDR looks like coming right out of the camera, I feel quite rewardedBtw,do you mean the sun looks a bit more nearer to the beholder than it is supposed to look?
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 8:33 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,427
Default

Hello bahadir, I have cropped the first photo and cloned out on the other, hope you don't mind.
Attached Images
 
alex james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 8:37 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,427
Default

2nd photo
Attached Images
 
alex james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 8:51 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Neil Wharton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 678
Default

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
Neil Wharton wrote:

Quote:
Really nice bahadir I love the HDR version better the colours seem to be a lot stronger.


Glad to readtheincentive feedback from someone whose tasteful works we often see here : ) Actually, trying to push the light, colours and details in a single image to catch up the HDR tend to cause halos, clippings and such artefacts! So, the HDR is the way to takeunder suchlighting conditions,providing, of course, onetakes the risk of obtainingunnaturallook at times!

As fordiscarding some rules; as far as you have good cause and aware of what exactly one is violating:!:surely one should go for it! RememberThomas Gainsborough's (18th century artist)painting 'The Blue Boy' in which he went against the teaching of the academia of his age which required the warm colours put at the foreground andcool colours at the background to attain the sense of depth...Oh, in fact, I'ddie to:-) apply the compositional wit of the High RenaissanceVenetian artists whowouln't hesitate to put the masses which could be regarded as lopsided but then maintained the balance in composition by means of colour, attaininga sense of flow and thus a dynamism also!

.................................................. .....................................

Alex wrote:

Quote:
Bahadir, I like the HRD version very much you have done an excellent job on this shot, the only thing I would do and that is to crop the photo, not sure what that is in the left corner, but crop that out and I think you will have a very nice photo for the wall my friend.
Thank you for letting me know your esteemed opinion Sir AlexActually, I initially considered doing some cropping offjob on the lefthandside but couldn't dare to touch the completeness of the cloud hindering the top of the mountain,whosefar end, also, catching the light from the setting sun...Stilltry your advice for a prospective hanger!

Btw, anyone has an advise for a A3 printer?? : )

.................................................. ....................................



Calicajun wrote:
Quote:
Nice work on the HDR, looks like it came right out of the camera. Well except for the Sun seems to have moved just a bit on you.
Thank you! Reading that the HDR looks like coming right out of the camera, I feel quite rewardedBtw,do you mean the sun looks a bit more nearer to the beholder than it is supposed to look?
exactly bahadir.

As for the A3 printer. Whats wrong or do you need one if its the latter go for the Epson Photo R2400 which is a A3+ printer so that you can use a media on a roll. So it makes canvas a lot easier and you can produce work which is longer than A3. Also it uses K3 inks which is perfect for B&W printing.

Hope this helps.


Neil.....



Neil Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 9:03 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
bahadir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Izmir, Turkey
Posts: 6,263
Default

alex james wrote:
Quote:
Hello bahadir, I have cropped the first photo and cloned out on the other, hope you don't mind.
Having written 'hope you don't mind'to my mateshere many times,I wouldsound funny if I really minded myself:G

Anyway, yours is a successful application Now, you've brought the water to my feet all around!! I gather that you findd the wavy sidewalk of the quay somewhat distracting, don't you ?
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 9:15 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
bahadir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Izmir, Turkey
Posts: 6,263
Default

Dear Neil, thank you forthe printer suggestion! I was worried that someone would tell me to ask such a question in priter forums:-)Btw, currently I own an epson R300 which givesspectacular outputs, but very extravagant on the other thanks to its 3 picoliter drop size I suspect, which made me consider the Canon models with 1 picoliter. However, the media inroll in the Epson which allows longer works than A3 , as you say, soundsvery promising:?
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 10:43 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,427
Default

If you want to print on glossy papers then go for the 1900. If you want to print on more artsy matte and watercolor papers then go with the 2400.

I have the 1800 and 2200. If you will ever want decent glossy prints then don't get the 2400, you will not be happy. For anything else, it's awesome. The 2200 has better shadow detail, I assume because of the light black.

I've had the 2200 for I guess 4 or more years and ran thousands of prints through it without an issue. I've never had a clogged head and have been told it's because of the high humidity down here.

I use the 2200 on luster papers some and still don't like the gloss differential so I spray them and that takes care of it, hence if you do a lot of luster and glossy prints , you will like the 1900 better. Hope this helps bahadir.
alex james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 11:00 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Alan T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chester, UK
Posts: 2,980
Default

Dear bahadir,

Iam not yet an enthusiastin general of HDR, because almost all the examples posted in the forums here seem greatly overdone to my eyes. I can think of only a few examples I have seen, notably longside1's "The Tower" (http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=587499&forum_id=8 ) where I felt it gave a good representation of what I might have perceived with my own eyes if I'd been there. And it turns out that that one was a Photoshop merge rather than a high-tech construction.

I'm well aware, from their enthusiastic reception, thatHDR images well justify their dramatic nature for most folk, and I agree they're often excellent artworks. There is infinite scope for variation in taste.

In this instance, however,I have two specific reasons for preferring the "straight from the camera relying on spotmetering" version...

1. In the HDR version I find the decorative pavement just a bit too distracting, but I wouldn't like to remove it altogether, as in musket's version. In the 'original', it's more subtle;

2. At least on my (well-adjusted, I believe) monitor, the triangular piece of sky immediately around the sun is a dirty yellow, reminding me of an unripe orange. In the untinkered version, it's a beautiful yellow. I don't think the actual disk of the sun needs to be so heavily emphasised as it is in all the versions but that one; it's too much of a focal point in a pleasing composition. Again, it's more subtle to my eye. (I'm a gentle soul!)

I have no strong preference for the range of tones elsewhere in either version of this glorious photograph. Anyway, bahadir, with 5 and more versions to play with, I'm sure there's enough on your hard disk to please anyone. I think you should trust your own judgement. However, if you're like me, your judgement may be different next time you come back to it.

So don't throw any of them away!

Best wishes,
Alan
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 11:00 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,427
Default

Bahadir I copied and pastedthe aboveoff another forum.
alex james is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:55 AM.