Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:33 AM   #11

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
For controlled conditions like this I always use manual focus. Im only a few inches from the tap and its a bit of a hassle. If I want to check the shot I have to refocus each time. When Im sure its ok then I shoot a bunch.
Just as a side note .... in each drop the image is upside down. You can see the stainless steel sink, the tap the wall and even the water drip reflected in the drop. I think its pretty cool and the image is nice and sharp. The tap was set to a constant drip so I didnt have to waste time waiting for the next one.
thanks for sharing your technique!
Guess your camera have better manual focusing, my old one also have very good manual focus but on new one all images in manual focus came soft

Indeed I see a lot of details reflected in a drip
sensovision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 4:48 PM   #12

Yes got to agree with everyone Bynx, excellent.
alex james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 6:01 PM   #13

Thanks all. As an added bit of trivia. It took me 214 shots to get the 10 to make the collage.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 6:20 PM   #14

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
Thanks all. As an added bit of trivia. It took me 214 shots to get the 10 to make the collage.
Hi Bynx,

Firstly thanks for answering my questions by generously sharing your technique (as you usually and selflessly do!) Much appreciated.

And you just answered my next question... which was going to be: "if they aren't of the same drop... how many photos did you take"? Wow... 214 shots. Great work and good patience - but well worth the reward. You could sell that series!

My NEXT question is... how did you set this up (slow running tap / water over something?)

regards

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 6:49 PM   #15

I simply set the tripod in front of the kitchen sink as close in as I could get. I wrapped the faucet with shiny black masking tape to tone down the faucet shine. Then I just let it drip fairly quickly. After that it was just sheer luck getting all the pics in the sequence I have. When I say 214 shots that was for the whole sitting. Actually I tried different positions until I found one I liked. Most places gave me a shadow from the flash. This was probably 20 shots so half of them were useful. Since the scene, lighting and dripping water was consistent the only thing that wasnt was my timing in hitting the button. That fraction of a difference resulted in the minute differences that happen over a split second. Manual focus was good. I cant remember if I used a #2 close up filter or not. I was about 16 inches from the drip.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote