Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 24, 2008, 8:35 AM   #11

Thanks Bahadir, again your edit belies your thoughtful nature and clever application!

I can see you "brightened" Tundi (particularly her face area)... and it even looks like you gave her armpit a closer shave... :G

Also the metal of the slide has been made more dull. I'm particularly interested in how you did that? I have so much to learn with post processing (though I do know a bit)... it's all a learning process.:idea:

It's also a balancing process... between learning about photo compostion and camera operation / execution as well as post processing, etc. All lots of fun!!

Thanks again... great edit. I must give you more of my originals to edit.... coz these are only the small sized ones !! (how do you, a University lecturer fit all this work in?)

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 7:20 AM   #12

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Bahadir, again your edit belies your thoughtful nature and clever application!

I can see you "brightened" Tundi (particularly her face area)... and it even looks like you gave her armpit a closer shave... :G

Also the metal of the slide has been made more dull. I'm particularly interested in how you did that? I have so much to learn with post processing (though I do know a bit)... it's all a learning process.:idea:

It's also a balancing process... between learning about photo compostion and camera operation / execution as well as post processing, etc. All lots of fun!!

Thanks again... great edit. I must give you more of my originals to edit.... coz these are only the small sized ones !! (how do you, a University lecturer fit all this work in?)

Paul
Dear Paul,

I'm humbled by your kind words...and entertained, as well, by your humour (see above: closer shave) : ) Ah, btw, I'd bereally very happy if I could use only 1/10 th of the features in PS effectively !

Actually, it is the composition which is my absolute priority (no device can helphere except for one's perception!), but, asyou now, when not supported by correct exposition and lighting (fill in flash, spotlight or the place of the subject in relation with the light source) your glory could be stolen somewhat! Still, thanksour digital dark room, the PS,some of itcouldbe regained. Here, I used the lighting effects in PS where you can reach under the filter button in order to be able todo more justice to Tundi and her lovely dress : )

As for being alecturer,I'd recommend it someone who's looking forbeing rewarded with an abundance offree time:G...oh, except for term ends when you have to deal withhundreds of exam papers and projects!!

Bahadır
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2008, 6:03 AM   #13

Hello Bahadir,

Thanks for replying again... and I guess you are right Bahadir, - it would be even good to be able to know and be able to effectively use even 10% of Photoshop's features!!

I agree, composition is a very important priority. Actually recently I read a quote that went something like this"When a photo has strong composition and beautiful light, people begin to forget about pixel sharpness and small amounts of barrel distortion". I believe this to be so true!

Thanks for detailing what you did - using lighting effects with the filter! (thanks for complimenting the dress also).

Well... I must consider the lecturer position then. Actually both my brothers and their wives are teachers... and as I was considered the most "serious student" of us all, and because I'm the oldest... maybe being a lecturer would be fitting to "fit into" the family!! I'm already jealous they have over a week Easter break when all I get as a government manager is 2 days! :G Plus lecturers and teachers get long summer holidays, right?

Regards and thanks my friend

Paul
Old Mar 26, 2008, 6:24 PM   #14

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
Well... I must consider the lecturer position then. Actually both my brothers and their wives are teachers... and as I was considered the most "serious student" of us all, and because I'm the oldest... maybe being a lecturer would be fitting to "fit into" the family!! I'm already jealous they have over a week Easter break when all I get as a government manager is 2 days! :G Plus lecturers and teachers get long summer holidays, right?
Dear friend, in the first place, I guess you'll fit into this job, for you know to listen people and dedicate your time for them : ) Ah,as for long summer holidays,they were inthe good old dayswhen we we were students, my friend, for universitiesinvented 'the summer school' a long time ago:blah:

Old Mar 27, 2008, 7:53 AM   #15

Bahadir... thanks for your thought provoking words.

Active listening is certainly one of the most demanding of all human tasks!! Working within charity organisations helping desparately needy people for over 10 years, I learned some of the art of "real listening"... and I also learned a lot about me and my needs. So it was mutually significant.

Now you're starting to sound like my brother's talk... "oh the old days when we were students".... Must be teachers' (aka lecturers') talk!!! But yes, I agree - the long summer holidays are ruled by the students, as teachers do lots of marking, AFTER exams and then preparations begin all too soon for the new year....

Anyway, here's something to refresh us...

The original version of photo 2.... Just so you can see what that photo's initial composition was. Bynx might be interested too!

Regards,

Paul
Attached Images

Old Mar 27, 2008, 11:19 AM   #16

Thanks Paul. The only people I get to work on are my kids and myself. Its a pleasure to do something with someone else. This is my watercolor take on the great pic of your lovely wife.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2008, 11:09 AM   #17

Bynx... what a great watercolour rendition of the photo! I like the effect a lot, and so does my wife.

It's great you can share your creative talents in this way ... with interesting outcomes for all to see.

Thanks again.... I must share more photos with you to "work your magic" with!

Have a great weekend...

Paul
Old Mar 31, 2008, 5:30 PM   #18

Dear Paul, every time I meant to drop a fewlinesfor thelast image of Tundi,I had to leave for some reason!!

Eye pleasing effectof contra light especially on her hair...Mother nature seems to be very genorous there, often complimenting her daughter : )

Btw, I should say I quite liked Bynx's watercolour version!

I did some lighting adjustment (as I explained above) +a little photo filter to be able to emphasize the subject a bit more, which may have work somewhat...
Attached Images

Old Apr 9, 2008, 6:06 AM   #19

Hello Bahadir,

This is a really well balanced edit... a definite improvement from the original in terms of lighting... and that photo filter has added to a very wholesome outcome.

Thanks for your time and your great generosity with your skills!

Yes, I also really admire Bynx's edit too.... maybe I should print and put each edit up around our home... a tribute to helpful online friends and individual creativity.

Best wishes

Paul