Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 23, 2008, 3:52 AM   #1

Hello all! I hope you're all having a great and safe Easter....

My wife Tundi bought a new dress and wanted me to take some photos of her in it. Who was I to argue? :G Really Tundi doesn't spend heaps of money on clothes... and I'm glad when she finds some clothes that she really likes and will get a lot of wear out of.

I think the dress really compliments her. What do you think? Comments and suggestions gladly welcome.

All photos taken on a Canon 350D with my 50mm f1.8 lens.

Photo 1.

On an old wooden school children's play-set / fort with slide.

Paul

Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2008, 3:54 AM   #2

Photo 2.

On one of my father's old "horse drawn coaches". (He has a horse and a number of different styled horse drawn coaches).

I cropped the original photo to get this version.

Paul

Attached Images

Old Mar 23, 2008, 3:56 AM   #3

And finally... photo 3.

Here in front of a connifer bush.

Looking forward to receiving your comments and feedback.

Many thanks...

Paul
Attached Images

Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:24 AM   #4

Great work, Paul!
I especially like 1st and 2nd photo. 3rd looks like a bit underexposed to me, maybe it's because lot of dark green color, not sure here.

1st one have best composition in my IMHO, it's really working, your wife look gorgeous there just like a real model.
The only thing which distracts me is left side of stairs(I would try to include less of this woden frame, by maybe shifting camera a bit to left) and stairs itself which are covered by some metal plate. I guess if stairs would be fully woden it would look much better and there would be nothing to add or to take.

second one is perfect!
sensovision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 6:44 PM   #5

Hi Sensovision,

Because of the brightness of the 1st and 2nd photos... I agree the third one by comparison does seem a tad underexposed... though maybe if it was by itself it wouldn't be so noticeable.

I'm glad you like the 1st photo... I think this is my favourite composition too. Indeed I'm blessed to have a photogenic wife...! Maybe THAT's why I started to get into photography when we began going out, about 5 years ago..? :blah:

The thing which you find distracts you is actually the (wooden) side of a (metal) slide. The slide goes down to where I was standing. I wanted to use it to help frame the photo... and actually did a bit of editting, as it was overexposed -so with some cloning made it less white.

Thanks for commenting!

Paul

Old Mar 23, 2008, 6:59 PM   #6

My pleasure, Paul! Although not sure if my comments would be very useful as I'm not in portrait photography, my only model is my wife who is very beautiful too but she owuldn't allow me to post her photos I guess.

Regarding 3rd photo I agree that if you would show only it, underexposure wouldn't be so obvious.

Regariding metal plate, I just think that if everything in frame would be from old wood it would be beneficial for picture, as currently this plate is grabbing my attention after some time. But it's just my IMHO.
sensovision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 8:03 PM   #7

Well Paul, I like all three of your shots, however #2 is by far a great shot. Her facial expression is perfect, the lighting is perfect and I love the highlights on the edge of her hair. All just perfect. Thats a shot I would hang on the wall proudly.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:46 PM   #8

Hi Sensovision

Firstly, hey you should show your wife this website and see we're a really decent bunch of people, and ask your wife if she won't mind helping you by allowing your photos of her to be posted, so we can comment! We all help each other that way.

Secondly, I can see what you mean that you found that metal part distracting, so I went back to the full sized version, did some cloning / edits, to remove it - and here is the smaller (websized) version.

What do you think? Better now?

Thanks for your comments and looking... and at least you can post some of your wedding photos..!! :-)

regards

Paul

Attached Images

Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:58 PM   #9

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
Well Paul, I like all three of your shots, however #2 is by far a great shot. Her facial expression is perfect, the lighting is perfect and I love the highlights on the edge of her hair. All just perfect. Thats a shot I would hang on the wall proudly.
Hi Bynx

I truly appreciate your comments - and I'm glad you like all three photos. Actually I found photo 2 to be more of the "could be great, but I don't know" types... The reason I thought (think?) this is mainly because of the quite bright areas in the photo (blown out highlights / sun reflections on the coach seat, backrest and handle....) which might distract from the photos' intended subject... i.e. Tundi.

However as you write, you like her facial expression and the (back)lit highlights on the edge of her hair... and I agree, they are great! So that helps me to think that at least you weren't too put off by those bright reflective parts.

I did crop this photo quite a bit, as there were a number of more distracting and detailed coach parts (e.g. handles, chain under the chair, bars). Also I had framed the photo so that I cut Tundi's legs off at the ankles (quite awkwardly when I reviewed it) - so in post processing I cropped at the knees, which imho works better.

The other reason I think I was initially the most satisfied with photo 1 is that photos 2 and 3 are just a tad sharper on her dress than her face. Not terribly much so... but in the full size original when looking closer (not even pixel peeping) - you can see the face in photo 1 is just prefect razor sharp... whereas the sharpest area in photos 2 and 3 is the dress, though the face in these photos 2 and 3 are "acceptably sharp".

Thanks for looking and your valued feedback, Bynx.

Paul
Old Mar 24, 2008, 5:41 AM   #10

You're such an allrounder, my friend, doing double major in Landscapes and Portrait!

I especially liked the energetic peekaboo :-)pose of your dear wife in #1

Still, I'd rather you arranged the lighting to compliment more on her and her dress. Below is sketch to reveal my intend, which, of course, could be further improved : )
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote