Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 24, 2008, 1:27 AM   #1

Something I found interesting while out shooting the other day.

Attached Images

Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2008, 5:15 AM   #2

Ah, remember those boxesreatining their little secrets,whosewoes and joys can be quite alike,and through the windows of which a casualtraveller's gazeventures eagerly! She, too,might be peeping the houses and lifein distance: )

Good job, my friend! I might suggest some cropping job from all directions, though; )

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2008, 5:26 AM   #3

Wow that is a great shot. So much to say and feel there. Im not sure about the cropping though -- Id have to reserve judgement until after I see it. But as is, I like the weathered appearance of the wall, the dirty broken glass, and the woman (small in overall area to the pic) standing at another broken window, looking out reflecting on her own broken dreams. Im sure she feels small and insignificant so that should show in the picture. Thats why I hesitate on too much cropping. I like the idea of keeping her isolated, as isolated as her world.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2008, 11:57 AM   #4

bahadir,

Thanks for the description of the shot it fits very well to what came to mind at the time I took the picture.Will try the suggestion of cropping closer to the window and see how that looks too. The posted picture is as framed in camera, old habit from film days, frame right, crop less at less in theory.

Bynx,

Thanks for the comments, I also thought she looked small and isolated looking out at the world. Though I would never tellher that she looked small and insignificant because that is my 17 year old daughter in the picture and would kick my tail end for saying that to her, LOL.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 2:32 PM   #5

Here is a tighter crop of the same picture.

Attached Images

Old Mar 25, 2008, 5:33 PM   #6

Very nice cropping, IMO! Now you've attained frames within frames through which the observer is being observed while observing 'the other...' : )
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 7:46 PM   #7

I agree, the crop version tells more of a story. Did try cropping all the way down to just the window frame but didn't care for that as much the posted cropped version.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 3:37 AM   #8

Hi Calicajun,

Really this IS a "story" type of photo. Leaves a lot up to the imagination, which is great!!! The weather beaten weather-boards and old window add history, and the "looking through one window to another" is cool!

I very much agree with Bynx that I probably wouldn't want to do "too much cropping". Your cropped version tells a different story from the original / first one. In a way I like both...

I'm interested what it would look like if you cropped just a BIT from the first photo.. but had the photo out of centre (imho.. the best would be the window at the bottom left third lines of the photo). I'm NOT saying "rule of thirds ALWAYS rules" (or is necessary)... but I'm just curious as to how that might work.

Can you try that with the original sized one?

In any case, it's a great photo. Good idea and your daughter helped out famously!

Well done.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2008, 4:53 PM   #9

Paul,

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, I always enjoy hearing how other see my pictures. I will have to play around with that shot some more, it's fun seeing all the different looks that can be made to one shot.

Is thissomething like you were talking about doing?

Attached Images

Old Mar 27, 2008, 6:46 AM   #10

Hi Calicajun

Sorry... silly me... I don't know my left from my right! (and at this time, that's a bad thing!)

Because of your daughter's body position, I meant and should have written the window to be placed in the bottom RIGHT of the photo.

Here is a super quick edit (crop of original, as well as basic saturation / contrast / brightness / sharpening)....

Hope it's ok for me to do it this way and suggest what I thought is another possibility on a great photo....

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote