Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 24, 2008, 5:51 PM   #1

I would appreciate any comments about these two shots of a newly built Macedonian Church.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2008, 5:52 PM   #2

Attached Images

Old Mar 24, 2008, 5:53 PM   #3

Attached Images

Old Mar 24, 2008, 8:23 PM   #4

Like the first one best, good angle and position of the flags poles work well together.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2008, 10:05 PM   #5

Thanks cali. Im doing a photo study of all the local churchs around here. I want to show the head guy (Im not religious) what I can do so these are my samples.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 10:20 PM   #6

Nice photos! I like the third one best. It seems (to me)to have the best color and lighting.
Jfserama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 3:52 AM   #7

Good job, Bynx!

Compositionwise I liked #2 best for itreminds more of the architectural characteristics of a classicalorthodox church, rather emphasizingthat of 20th century.

However, italso has the most 'processed' look among the three,some purple cast, and the full moon looks a bit much 'cute' ; )

I did some colour balance work, a little highlights adjustment and finished withsome noise removal to reduce artifacts for the sake of any vague possibility of pleasing the head guy:-)

Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 11:33 AM   #8

I was afraid of adding the moon would be cutsey. But its a religious site and I figured anything from the heavens might add something to the building. Also had I waited a couple hours I could have had the sunshine illuminating the west side of the building (the front) better. All three shots were HDR. There is an appearance to me of old postcards that were hand colored. Does it seem that way to anyone?
Old Mar 26, 2008, 5:36 AM   #9

Hi Bynx

Interesting photos of an interesting building.

My thoughts... I like the compositions... and the angles of all three. I prefer the 1st one's angle the most.. .thus agreeing with calicajun.

However I agree with jfserama & bahadir, there seems quite a strong purple (magenta?) cast in the first two. And that "put me off' the first two. Bahadir's edit does improve that rather well.

The thing about the third photo that "doesn't quite work" is that window area (frame) that has no glass? And the nearest "panel" of that long side wall is too "blank". Is there yet window work yet to be done? It seems almost too much like a mosque idea rather than an orthodox church (mosques have fewer / smaller windows). Maybe you could clone a window or two on that wall.. and I'd like it more.

As I lived in Romania for several years, and that country is scattered with orthodox churches, both old and new, I saw a number like yours.

The problem with MOST "street scene" shots in Romania, there are just far too many WIRES all over the place. Terrible amount of tangled overhead electricity wires, phone wires, newer internet cables, tram wires, advertising banners held by wire, etc. Unfortunately plain ugly in many cities!

I think you've done a good job considering. If you had the light of the third photo with composition of 1, that would be best...

Regards

Paul

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote