Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 1, 2008, 10:06 AM   #11

Thanks John

Unless I remove the lens hood, I am limited to how close the lens can get--but I get your point--it does lead to focus problems if shooting from a few inches away from a fence.

From now on the flash is out in that situation. It was a good lesson to learn. It cost me a few shots but it was worth it to see the result first hand.

Jerry
coachjerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 7:15 PM   #12

A couple of points to note. Judging from the framing and DOF, you were shooting this at around 200mm from some distance away??

On a bright, sunny day in that situation, you should not need any fill flash. Also, at that distance, the fill flash would not really make any difference in those conditions.

The first shot is almost certainly reflection of the flash back into the lens, and using burst/continuous mode, it's quite likely that the flash had not recharged by the time the second shot was taken. It's not really a good idea to use flash with burst mode.

dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 9:00 PM   #13

dans
Thanks for the input--you are correct I was behind the plate about 80 ft away from the pitcher where I wouldn't get any benefit from the flash and in full zoom for the 70-200mm lens. To be honest I had forgotten that the flash was on after using it for some dugout shots a few minutes before.

You are also correct that flash had not recharged. That was confirmed in the EXIF data.

There were plenty of lessons learned for me from these two photos. Thanks to all for your advice.

Jerry
coachjerry is offline   Reply With Quote