Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 14, 2008, 9:18 PM   #1

This was a church since 1871. Run down and too small it was bought by the city who is now in battle with the Catholic Company as to who owns the stained glass windows. Here are a couple of samples.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2008, 9:20 PM   #2

Looking at the altar from the choir loft.
Attached Images

Old Apr 14, 2008, 9:21 PM   #3

Details of the two west windows.
Attached Images

Old Apr 14, 2008, 9:22 PM   #4

Attached Images

Old Apr 14, 2008, 9:48 PM   #5
spy

What a shame. Someone in the Catholic Company didn't think the details of the sale to well unless they did and they claimed ownership of the windows in the fine print of the sales contract and the short balding runt of a buracrate who bought the church dropped the ball by thinking no one would ever use fine print on the city as that just wouldn't be fair.

Assuming there is no 'fine print' to haggle over, and it is a clear gross error on the Catholic Company's part, I'd say make an offer to buy them back out of the sale monies or extend your hand out for a "window donation" from the city as a tax right off or something of the like.

If you sold me your car (lets assume you have one) and I bought it out-right and now own it, I'm not to sure you could come back after the sale to claim the windshield just because it was once yours.
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2008, 11:32 PM   #6

It has to do about a Heritage designation put on the church building. And the stained glass windows was a large part of being a Heritage site. However, the new use for the building is something like an arts and community building. The stained glass cuts the light too much and the room is actually quite dim. It would be in everyones best interest, in my opinion, to remove the stained glass and replace with regular glass so the light would be great. The stained glass is actually on the inside of the wall and the outside has an additional breakproof glass with chicken wire in it. You really cant see the stained glass from the outside.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 6:40 PM   #7

Something about the building isn't quite right. At first I thought it was angled but after playing with it I'm not so sure. Is the building's roof line bowed or did you use a really wide angle lens to shoot this? It is very intriguing to look at but at the same time I feel off balance if I look too long.

For the windows I'd consider a shot from closer to the floor almost straight up. If those windows are like a lot of stained glass I've seen the size is as impressive as the art and should be worked into the shot.
JunixRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 8:11 AM   #8

The roof is bowed like it appears. In fact the walls also bow out towards the top. The bricks are dry and crumbling. If you look above the two windows to the left of the chimney you can see a girder. There is also a long one stretching all the way over the rest of the windows on each side of the building. The interior shot shows how the walls are being reinforced by the horizontal rods which have a cross in the middle. Done in 1965, it was to help keep the walls in place.