Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 17, 2008, 4:05 PM   #1

Hey,

I have a rather small calender here and used it to test some macro works... then when I did similar things with coins I thought it would be a nice idea to combine both or make a series "Time and money". I am at the very beginning here and would be interested in your opinions... I'll post some "typical" photos I got so far, maybe they do something for you - what do you think about the idea itself and the current approach/tries?

#1 - time 1

#2 - money and time (in two ways: the calender and the year embossed on the coin)

#3 - time and money - a bit more "abstract"

#4 - other side of the coin any better?

#5 - a wider view

#6 - and time again

I like the unexpected dimensions of the calender - the coin looks supersized not only because of the macro shots but especially because you expect the calender to be much bigger than it actually is...

A much wider DOF does no good imho - I want to concentrate the view on those two aspects: "time" and "money", the background doesn't matter.

Any ideas?

Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2008, 2:04 PM   #2

Very attractive series, dear mateI'm drawn in byyour use ofDOF and tasteful composition complimented by some superb lens allowing you to go as wide as f/2.8 perhaps even further(?)My favourites are the ones the coinespecially when allowing you to see the dates!

I see you've included 'the woman' on the calender occasionally:-)How about including a pocket watch as well, a 1903 Omega preferably (to emphasize both !!)
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2008, 3:51 PM   #3

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
Very attractive series, dear mateI'm drawn in byyour use ofDOF and tasteful composition complimented by some superb lens allowing you to go as wide as f/2.8 perhaps even further(?)My favourites are the ones the coinespecially when allowing you to see the dates!

I see you've included 'the woman' on the calender occasionally:-)How about including a pocket watch as well, a 1903 Omega preferably (to emphasize both !!)
Hello
and thanks for the nice comments and ideas! The pocket watch idea (to give the TIME and not a DATE, which also stands for "time"... but in another meaning) is great - have to find a really small one, though. Hm.

The other thing I was thinking about is to show two coins - one very old - one of 2000+ ...

As for "the woman" - that wasn't planned, it just happened, because in April the calender shows that picture but I already found that with a very shallow DOF one can produce some really nice views and "insights" here.

Good - back to the drawing board and let's think of an arrangement and lighting setup for that pocket watch thingie. Not an easy one...

Regards,
Th.

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 6:09 PM   #4

Photo #3 does the most for me. I think for an abstract shot like this it is best to avoid in focus text as in #4. The word "EURO" is quite distracting. And the larger field of view definitely detracts in my opinion. What I think would be interesting would a shot very similar to #3 but with the focus even more forward. Around the lower third line or so, perhaps move the coin up a touch and focus on the edge. I can see that shot (or #3 as it is) as the title image on a website of some sort. Not sure if that is exactly what you had in mind, but I can see that. I really like the coin and smaller calendar, nice juxtaposition.
JunixRose is offline   Reply With Quote