Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 18, 2008, 8:50 PM   #1

This is one of the picture i took on my last visit to India. My daughter at the Taj Mahal. It was a very bright day as you can tell she could't get her eyes open

Any comments welcome
Attached Images

happy7011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2008, 9:51 PM   #2

Hi Happy7011

Thanks for sharing the photo of your daughter at the Taj Mahal. As you asked for comments, I will provide a few.

Firstly, your daughter matches the Taj Mahal well, and I like your composition idea! Well done!

Perhaps I would have tried to get her whole body in (i.e. her feet also.. and that extra depth of the ground would have been good)

It's cool how there is a flow of people to the building on the left hand side.

The photo is not quite level.

If the sun is strong, I have often found if you ask the model to close their eyes for a while as you compose the photo and then ask them them to open their eyes on "three" as you count to 3 - it works better (the initial moment after opening the eyes, the eyes are wider open than staring into a sun for 10 seconds). This is how I handle it here in Australia, where the sun is very strong.

Thanks for sharing your photo with us. Keep shooting. We all (me included) can always learn and improve.

PS.. edit.. one thing I really like about your photo it shows the size of the building. So many photos of the buildng don't show people in it, and this one shows that (people leading up to the building, and right at it!)

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2008, 4:51 AM   #3

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
Firstly, your daughter matches the Taj Mahal well, and I like your composition idea! Well done!

It's cool how there is a flow of people to the building on the left hand side.

The photo is not quite level.

One thing I really like about your photo it shows the size of the building. So many photos of the buildng don't show people in it, and this one shows that (people leading up to the building, and right at it!)
I second the words above from Paul

Iwould also like tomention that I do appreciate your merits under the strong Indian sun, which is an issue around the mediterranean also!

Still, I find the photo somewhat underexposed not conveying the true colours of the foliage and the sky especially, which could be partially eliminated relying on software, since we cannot go backto the time of shooting... Hope you don't mind!
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 7:21 PM   #4

I agree with Paul and bahadir but I would add a couple of things.

Post-processing wise there doesn't seem to be a lot that you can do. Straighten the image of course and perhaps bring down the highlights a touch.

If you ever get the chance to reshoot there are a couple of things worth trying. In strong sun it is definitely worth investing in a good polarizer, this can prevent blowouts quite remarkably while also making the colors much more vibrant.

Artistically I can think of just a slight reposition that I would find very interesting. Pull back ever so slightly so that your daughter's head is actually above the building and have her step more off center so that she is pinching at the top like picking a cherry off of an ice cream. Following Paul's comments about her eyes have her look a little more directly at the camera. Not full on, just a little closer than you did.

These are all small points, very nice capture. I really like how you've played around with the dimensionality of everything.
JunixRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2008, 10:40 PM   #5

Thanksguys for your comments. Since i am new at this very expense hobby will take all tips in cosideration in future. Here is one more picture which i took on the same trip. This is builing on the left side of TAj MAhal . I have tried to post process this one.

Please comments
Attached Images

Old Apr 27, 2008, 5:53 PM   #6

Well done, happy7011! I'd crop off some of thewhite foreground since its big tiles, opposed to the comperatively dwarfed size of humans to the immense size of the building, steals fromits grandeur, imo!
Old Apr 27, 2008, 9:10 PM   #7

Thanks Bahadir how about this one
Attached Images

Old May 5, 2008, 6:06 AM   #8

Oh, looks especially overtheblack background of Steve's:-)

Still, trying not to divide elements as much as I can, I'dset the bottom frame of the picture covering with thebeamover the doorhinting only the existance ofthe door(but excluding the rest of the door)so as to be able tocapture the complete decorational pointed arch bordering the dazzling niche!
Old May 5, 2008, 11:01 PM   #9

Nice shot on the 3rd picture..

I personally think that it would be slightly better if it was taken in the vertical format (portrait format).

That way you can get the whole door + arch + designs on the wall.. but maybe the bottom part was not so impressive so you cut that off.??
hazmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008, 12:06 AM   #10

Hi there,

Thanks for sharing this picture. I tried to do some contrast and color changes. Enjoy
Attached Images

pinnoy2 is offline   Reply With Quote