Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 25, 2008, 10:41 AM   #1

I took this shot at the Tifft Nature Preserve, and would like your input on it. It isn't anything spectacular, but I particularly like the colors.

http://nlalston.zenfolio.com/img/v1/p969876226-4.jpg

Blessings,
Nathan
NLAlston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2008, 4:51 PM   #2

Hey Nathan,

How are you doing? I like your shot, the colors, particularly the sky, it's reflection, and the new greenery in the background.

I also like the geometric capture of the boardwalk and the shadows of the railing.

Nice job.

Your neighbor,

Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2008, 5:44 PM   #3

Hey Jim,

I am blessed ~ and doing just fine. How are things with you, my friend?

I have been having a TOTAL blast with my camera. I still have much to learn, but it'll come. You & I are going to have to get together, sometime, to do some shooting. It's kinda tough, right now, with gas prices being the way that they are. Maybe it won't be TOO long before we notice a decrease in such pricing :-). I don't have many photos at my site, but feel free to take a look at some of my other shots there. I would love to get your feelings on them.

www.nlalston.zenfolio.com

And thank you for your nice words.

Blessings,
Nathan
Old Apr 25, 2008, 6:38 PM   #4

Nathan,

Just took a look at your galleries, very nice. I think my favorite is the one titled "Lake Erie Glow". Any time I see a scene like that, with thesun rayscoming through the clouds I think of our Lord, our source of light guiding us through the darkness.

I recall walking in to work from the parking lot one morning with a similar scene as the sun rose in the east, and a fellow employee said, "Look at that! How could anyone look at that and not believe?"

I see you have both a Pentax K10D and a Nikon D300. I have a Pentax K100D. A friend of mine has the Nikon D300 and keeps telling me, that is the camera I should get. I was going to upgrade to the K10D just before the K20D came out but didn't pull the trigger while they were still offering the rebates.

I sense that you prefer the D300, what is it that you prefer over the K10D? I plan to upgarde at some point, but I'd like to make use of the Pentax lenses I've accumulated.

Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2008, 9:01 PM   #5

Hi Jim.

You are absolutely right, because I (too) find it so very difficult for someone to not feel the presence of God - when looking at a scene like that.

Yes, I had the Pentax K10D, and was considering selling it to help fund the purchase for better glass on my D300. But our youngest daughter (now 9) has been showing a strong interest in photography - so it now belongs to her. I really liked that K10D, but wanted something that was faster-focusing, and that showed greater capabilities for those low-light scenarios. I am no pro, and (in fact) am quite far from wearing that classification. But my love & interest in photography is stronger than I could ever find words to express, and I wanted a camera that would take some doing to grow into. I have that in the D300.

Depending on what you like to shoot, the K10D could be a super DSLR for you. I, myself, really like to do a lot of low-light & night shootings. But, whatever you wind up with, I do hope that we get the chance to meet up - one day - and go out for some capturing of God's handiworks.

Blessings,

Nathan