Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Closed Thread

Old May 9, 2008, 12:12 AM   #11

Thank you for providingyourfeedback, Grant!

Yea, as you assumed it right, the HDR version comprises 5 individual exposures attained by (ev) bracketing in the cameara.

Now, because time has no logic when I start to process the images filling the sd card, I did a retake for the HDR version to reply your question : ) Well,the whole processtook ten minutes from inserting the sd card into the card readerand finding the software shortcut in the jungle of the desktop!, to rearranging the sliders in the photomatix and also applying a little sharpening at the PS to the final image! However, I can saythis processcan take about half an hour for some occasions, especially when you have to repeat the tone curving process for a couple of times when they prove to be unsatisfactory each time, which I wouldn't mind at all! However, the result is not always guaranteed (at least according to my own experience) Ah, despite the whimsical nature of the HDR, I actually love the 3D look of the end results one of which you can see here (theintroductory picture)http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=590498&forum_id=5

As for the RAW converversion, it takes about 5 minutes to process an image or 15 min. at most...and the result is almost always guaranteed exceptyou'vemade some terrible mistake at the time of shooting!

Cheers!

Bahadır

Old May 9, 2008, 8:06 AM   #12

Hi Bahadir,

Whilst the second shot has mpore detail, and potentially could be the best shot, on my monitor it seems to have a blue cast? It may be worth using a warming filter in PS?

Great stuff regardless!
Old May 9, 2008, 5:21 PM   #13

longside1 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Bahadir,

Whilst the second shot has mpore detail, and potentially could be the best shot, on my monitor it seems to have a blue cast? It may be worth using a warming filter in PS?

Great stuff regardless!
Thank you my friend : )Actually Iarranged #3 partly for the reason you mentioned above as Alex had also mentioned before! Below you'll see a 4th version applied some mellowing yellow filter @ PS, which I liked.I wonder if this has made any improvement...
Attached Images

Old May 10, 2008, 4:03 AM   #14

bahadir wrote:
Quote:

2) the 5 shot HDR
Nicely done, but how do you get the ripples in the sea to stay

still long enough to take 5 exposures?......................musket.
Old May 10, 2008, 7:26 PM   #15

musket wrote:
Quote:
bahadir wrote:
Quote:

2) the 5 shot HDR

Dear Musket,thanks for yourinterest distinct inyour fitting inquiry!

Fortunately Icanstate thatI find the HDR softwares, at least, the ones I tried namely CS 3 and Photomatics,quite capable of handling this issue which bothered me also initially
Old May 12, 2008, 9:53 AM   #16

musket wrote:
Quote:
bahadir wrote:
Quote:

2) the 5 shot HDR

Probably the easiest way to deal with this problem is to save your finished HDR image as a layer in PS, and then insert a good midtone exposure of your shot as a second layer and then simply layer mask out or delete the blurred waves revealing the nice crisp ones beneath!

http://www.imagespike.wordpress.com

Old May 13, 2008, 8:41 AM   #17

WOW! That looks GREAT Bahadir! I love #2! I've got to give this HDR a try :-)

Chris
Old May 13, 2008, 8:42 AM   #18

longside1 wrote:
Quote:
musket wrote:
Quote:
bahadir wrote:
Quote:

2) the 5 shot HDR

Probably the easiest way to deal with this problem is to save your finished HDR image as a layer in PS, and then insert a good midtone exposure of your shot as a second layer and then simply layer mask out or delete the blurred waves revealing the nice crisp ones beneath!

http://www.imagespike.wordpress.com

That's a good solution, indeed (especially for significant enlargements!). However I did not really need to apply it since the settings in the Photomatix have yielded a pretty good job even with the most unstable elements namely waves, cars even people to an extent (which I find to be the most difficult!!)

Below is the wave patterns from four of the different exposures making the HDR version. I did not include here the fifth one which was too dark to be displayed!!

Btw, Isee that I forgot to attach theedited versionof the HDR inspired by your suggestion:angry:Please see it attached to my post above as well : )
Attached Images

Old May 13, 2008, 8:50 AM   #19

cmoy wrote:
Quote:
WOW! That looks GREAT Bahadir! I love #2! I've got to give this HDR a try :-)

Chris
Oh, that's been quite a pleasant surprise Chris!! I had really missed hearing from you : ) Looking forward to seeing your eamples too..Thank you for letting me know about your preference
Old May 13, 2008, 8:57 AM   #20

I've been very busy No new photos except for our trip to India. Haven't had time to really work on them.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Chris

Closed Thread