Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Closed Thread

Old May 7, 2008, 8:07 AM   #1

I preferred to walk home the other dayandrewarded myselfwith some pictures!

Ialmost alwaysshoot RAWexceptshooting for test. Below you'll seemy comparison between a RAW conversionwith theCS 3 and a 5 (raw)shot HDR with the Photomatix.

Ah, in fact I'd like to spend less timein front of the screen forconversions, edits, etc. andmore timeoutdoors to shoot!!

1) the RAW conversion (exif embedded)

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2008, 8:08 AM   #2

2) the 5 shot HDR
Attached Images

Old May 7, 2008, 8:10 AM   #3

3) HDR + RAW (foreground)and a little colour correction at PS : )
Attached Images

Old May 7, 2008, 10:02 AM   #4

Ive flipped back and forth between 2 and 3 and I prefer #2. The colors are slightly more saturated and a bit more crisp. Unfortunately my camera wont give me RAW files so Im stuck wth JPEG using Photomatic to create the HDRs. Thanks for showing me the differences.
Old May 7, 2008, 11:08 AM   #5

I prefer the look of the second one. The raw looks flat and boring in comparison. It looks a bit warm as well in comparison.

Better detail in the clouds as well in the HDR vs. RAW.

Mahalo,

Tom
Old May 7, 2008, 11:09 AM   #6

Which software do you use for the HDR thingie, Bahadir? Only Photomatrix? Or other tools also, when you feel they give better results? There are a lot of interesting articles out there discussing different approaches - that's why my question.
Old May 7, 2008, 4:19 PM   #7

Hello Bahadir, I like the composition of these, but got to agree with Bynx to a certain extent,the first is a little flat, there is also to much blue for me in the second, I like the 3rd one, its got that little bit extra, if you know what I mean.
Old May 7, 2008, 5:08 PM   #8

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
Ive flipped back and forth between 2 and 3 and I prefer #2. The colors are slightly more saturated and a bit more crisp. Unfortunately my camera wont give me RAW files so Im stuck wth JPEG using Photomatic to create the HDRs. Thanks for showing me the differences.
Thank you for indicating your preference, my friend! . I thinka reason you find #2 crisper could be that, as you know, each edit @ PS increases the file size, and while downsizing the file below 250k. here, there might be a slight IQ degradation visible to the skillful eyes : ) At first I was also using Jpeg for the Photomatix, butafter beingconvinced about the observable Jpeg and Raw quality difference in my camera (regarding the colours especially) I went Raw always!

Btw, I guess you also prefer #2 over #1, the single Raw conversion

.................................................. .............

vIZnquestwrote:
Quote:
I prefer the look of the second one. The raw looks flat and boring in comparison. It looks a bit warm as well in comparison.

Better detail in the clouds as well in the HDR vs. RAW.
I'm happy to read your clear and valuable appraisal, Tom! Just be sure,in the name of fairness,I really meant to do justice to the RAW :-)

Btw, I also appreciated your introducing yourself in the Welcome CenterI wish I'd be one of those mentioned there, you'llmeet in your furthter travels; )
Old May 7, 2008, 5:08 PM   #9

thkn777wrote:

Quote:
Which software do you use for the HDR thingie, Bahadir? Only Photomatrix? Or other tools also, when you feel they give better results? There are a lot of interesting articles out there discussing different approaches - that's why my question.

Thanks for your kind interest, which I have always admired : )ThoughI always find the CS 3 an ultimate tool for a serious hobbyist like myself, when it comes toHDR, Photomatix 'beats it hands down' if that's the phrase:lol: However, perhaps because I'm a bit lazy to use a tripod, sometimes the HDR output might not be as sharp as a single Raw conversion. It is when I use thePhotoshop for a quick sharpening session! You might also keep the Neat Image handy in case the HDR process creates a bit more noise than it is expected ; )As forRAW conversions, I used to use Pentax Photo Laboratory forits eye pleasing colours for Landscapes especially, but not anymore after Iexploredmy ideal setting at CS 3 ! Hope this helps...Oh, please feel free for any further issue : )

.................................................. ...........

Alex wrote:
Quote:
Hello Bahadir, I like the composition of these, but got to agree with Bynx to a certain extent,the first is a little flat, there is also to much blue for me in the second, I like the 3rd one, its got that little bit extra, if you know what I mean.
Oh, that's another insightful comment from you Sir AlexI'm also glad toread your kind appreciation for the composition, which, in fact, should matter most for me!

Actually it was what urged me to try #3 hybrid
Old May 7, 2008, 9:29 PM   #10

bahadir, I vote for the second shot, also.

I'm curious about a few things:

I am assuming that the five shots you used for your HDR image were actually five different exposures done in-camera as opposed to five different conversions of one RAW exposure....Right?

How much time did you spend with Photoshop getting the result you posted as shot #1 and how much time did you spend altogether getting the result you posted as shot #2? The HDR version certainly has more visual impact than the straight RAW, but I'm just wondering if your workflow for #2 was significantly more complicated than for #1. If they were about the same, I'd sure opt for going HDR whenever the shooting situation allowed for it!

Grant

Closed Thread