Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 19, 2008, 7:51 PM   #1

I just took my 500mm lens with a 2x converter out to my friens front yard and aimed down the street.
It was about 30 min till dark and I really didn't expect much but, my friend wanted to see what it would do…
GX 10 F 5.6 1/125 iso 1600 sv mode at over 1000 feet away! It may have some possibility…
I'm still concerned with the shakiness. Any ideas? :?
Attached Images

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2008, 4:47 PM   #2

couple of points

very small movement (shutter press) with that lens can result in movement, just tap lens and watch how far it moves, as shutter speed was slow id recomend using remote control to fire shutter, also f5.6 isnt going to give much depth of field, so if your slightly out with focus it will result in unsharp image

another thing is the quality of the 2x converter, test it by taking shot without converter and with and compare them

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2008, 8:00 PM   #3

You also have to worry about mirror slap - use mirror lock-up if it's available. And another thing you can do is hang something heavy on the 'pod to add stability.
Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2008, 8:40 PM   #4

Good advice all around. Make sure you aren't touching the camera when it triggers. Use the self-timer with mirror lock-up to allow the camera to stabilize.

Teleconverters do tend to soften an image some, even the best, so you may not get too much better than this, but it should be worth trying.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2008, 8:53 PM   #5

Thank you guys,
I know the set-up I was using is rather cumbersome. But, for now it's all I have. It's my old Manfroto /Bogen that I got back when I got into video. So it will have to do till I get a better set up.
It feels like it weighs 1400 lbs but, in reality it's only 14 lbs. you'd think that would be heavy enough but, I think you're right Ron, perhaps a sand bag would do the trick. I was using a remote trigger and mirror lock up. I guess the next step is shooting with more available light and use a faster shutter speed.
Attached Images

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote