Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 27, 2008, 6:33 PM   #1

Didn't say 'with or without'because you mightprefer either one for different reasons!

On my part, although Ioften use the fill flash for family pictures especially under uneven lighting,occasionally I like the harsh lightscattering the figure rather than modelling it, as in baroque paintingslike that ofCaravaggio!!You know, I could have saved the blown side of the face in the second picture through exposure control

On the other hand, using the fill flash, you can still burn the already bright areas of the face if you do not consider the limitation of the on board flash! I use the TV mode + spot metering or center weighted average in such harsh lighting conditions letting the camera decide the aperture according the 1/180'' limit of the on board flash so as avoiding it burn theintensely lit areas.

Oh, btw, Iam happy that my sondidn't mindposing mefor fewseconds:-)

No post processing other than cropping and resizing!

#1 with..
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2008, 6:34 PM   #2

# without..
Attached Images

Old May 27, 2008, 7:20 PM   #3

Wow Bahadir, Two completely different perspectives!
I like both but, I think I'll have to choose #1 as my favorite.
He looks so serious and deep in thought… like he has 50 years of life inside that 7 year old head.
The more I look at him the more I wonder what's inside?

#2, I can still see the mischief in his eyes! they are both keepers.
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 8:23 PM   #4

I prefer 1 to 2. However, I do like 2 as a B&W. The harshness of the light as well as the odd yellowish appearance I find unattractive. As a B&W its only the harshness of the contrast to deal with and in this case it adds to the photo instead of detracts. In my humble opinion. Of course I could be full of hooey and I reserve that right.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2008, 12:46 PM   #5

Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
Wow Bahadir, Two completely different perspectives!
I like both but, I think I'll have to choose #1 as my favorite.
He looks so serious and deep in thought… like he has 50 years of life inside that 7 year old head.
The more I look at him the more I wonder what's inside?

#2, I can still see the mischief in his eyes! they are both keepers.
Thank you for your deep appreciation, my friend!

I'd easily understand why your favourite is #1, which would be my take also ifI were topresent it to someone! As for the 50 years of life inside, it mightbe the lifetimetakenfrom mine which has already made me avulnerable mortal :GBut no regrets You again spotted his slight mischief there insightfully. Eh, after all 'What's with Andy' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What's_with_Andy%3Fis one of his favourite cartoons :lol:

.................................................. ....

Bynx wrote :

Quote:
I prefer 1 to 2. However, I do like 2 as a B&W. The harshness of the light as well as the odd yellowish appearance I find unattractive. As a B&W its only the harshness of the contrast to deal with and in this case it adds to the photo instead of detracts. In my humble opinion. Of course I could be full of hooey and I reserve that right.
Ihave always admiredyour fresh ideas my friend : ) Thank you so much for your trouble for the selsctive B&W conversion intended to make the harshness of the light meaningful (or at least a bit more bearable for you:-)) while emphasizing his eye (which looked a bit yellowish now as it probably still retains the sunlight within)! A tribute to Cravaggio, I would evensay : )

Old May 28, 2008, 1:06 PM   #6

#1 is a normal looking portait, but I am suprised that a flash can do that. It completely dominates the outside light and made the lighting smooth / same all ove his face. I learned something from this picture. Thanks Bahadir.

#2 There's an background in this picture. That makes it nice...not just a face. This face of you child is perhaps what you will see if you are late from getting up at morning. And he just openened the curtains and wakes you up: 'Dad!!! get up lazy bones!'

So both are nice...
feetjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2008, 2:57 PM   #7

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
I like it Bynx, Interesting how it takes away the mischievousness and gives it a more foreboding look.

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2008, 1:48 AM   #8

feetjai wrote:
Quote:

#1 is a normal looking portait, but I am suprised that a flash can do that. It completely dominates the outside light and made the lighting smooth / same all ove his face. I learned something from this picture. Thanks Bahadir.

#2 There's an background in this picture. That makes it nice...not just a face. This face of you child is perhaps what you will see if you are late from getting up at morning. And he just openened the curtains and wakes you up: 'Dad!!! get up lazy bones!'

So both are nice...
...Besides,it is only the on board flash which could do that even at uneven and harsh lightening conditions : ) But it requires simple care for one can irrecoverably whitewash the allreadybright areas, like throwing oilon fire!

As for the second picture Iquite appreciatedyourempathic feedback... And he does get up early:-)(Actually, for a while, I've been following your insightful and knowledgeable commentswith pleasure!)
Old May 29, 2008, 2:50 AM   #9

Lovelyphoto #1and example of fill flash improving the shot

there is still a bright side and dark side of the head/hair

I suppose this is where studio applied lighting and/or bounce

flash could go on to provide a more even illumination of the

head, other thoughts would be the subject rotated 90 degrees

to face the light and the camera moved into a suitable position

to take better advantage of the natural oncoming light.........................musket.
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2008, 2:21 PM   #10

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
feetjai wrote:
Quote:

So both are nice...
...Besides,it is only the on board flash which could do that even at uneven and harsh lightening conditions : ) But it requires simple care for one can irrecoverably whitewash the allreadybright areas, like throwing oilon fire!

As for the second picture Iquite appreciatedyourempathic feedback... And he does get up early:-) (Actually, for a while, I've been following your insightful and knowledgeable commentswith pleasure!)
Cw bowing to Bahadir with respect...
feetjai is offline   Reply With Quote