Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 1, 2008, 2:22 AM   #1

Seems I've rutted on sunsets and I'm looking for suggestions/help/opinions

Thanks

eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2008, 2:55 AM   #2

I can notice only one thing and i am not sure if that is intended as an effect on the picture or not: The left and right side of the pic are not sharp as the centre.

If you want the whole pic sharp then you need to find the hyperfocal distance. You can use the following site to calculate it:

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html (they have an tutorial too..keep clicking)

With the right settings the object in front of you will be sharp and after the object in front of you the depth of field will extend endlessly to the horizon, thus making everything look sharp.

Edit : what i sometimes try is focus 1/2 the way the objects in front i want sharp, then look at my lens if i seethe diafragma number i used isat the 'endless sign' or not.

If not i focus a bit futher away or closer until it's at 'endless sign' or even beyond it.

But apart from that: a nice peacefull moment.
feetjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2008, 12:05 PM   #3

Thank you feetjai for taking the time to offer up such a detailed reply, much appreciated

The blurring on the edges was intentional with the hope it would draw the focus to the center of the composition. Here is one without, which do you prefer?

eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2008, 1:59 PM   #4

I think your idea is creative. Personally i do prefer the sharp one. The contrast difference between the dark foreground and the sky with your subject the sun is quiet a difference . I got the feeling it's not needed to make it blurry. My eyes end up at the sun and the clouds around quiet fast.

But what i do wonder now: (idea just popped up by your creative thought) : How would the pic be if the whole foreground is less in focus and the sky and sun sharp?
I can almost see that pic before me... Thanks. I just extended by creativity by learning from you. :idea:My 'lightbulb' is 35 watts now, it was 33)
feetjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2008, 2:31 PM   #5

I definitely prefer the second version. The blurred edges just distracted my eye. What I really like about the second image though are the deeper colors. The richness of the blues is fantastic. Here is an idea on something to try, what would this image look like with more of the color on the foreground restored? The silhouette is a nice touch but seems a bit too strong for me. Instead of simply black what about dark colors?
JunixRose is offline   Reply With Quote