Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 16, 2008, 3:51 AM   #1

I have taken following imges using Canon 400D (XTi) and 50mm f1.8. Please comment to make it better. No PP, down sized to fit here. Both the images where taken using Auto white balance, Multisegment metering, Portrait picture style, ISO 200, Full manual mode. Other image specific parameters are as follow:

IMG_0170.JPG: Shutter Speed:1/1000, Apearture:f4.0, No flash
IMG_0181.JPG: Shutter Speed:1/200, Apearture:f5.6, Red eye reduction
Attached Images

Piyush is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2008, 3:52 AM   #2

Here is another one.
Attached Images

Old Jun 16, 2008, 9:52 AM   #3
conor

In my (limited and non-professional) experience, I've found it difficult to get good captures where the subject is in front of a brightly-lit area (first picture) but I have had improved my success rate by flashing the subject even though my instinct was that the area was too bright to need it.

in the first picture, the background is bright, and the subject dim, if you slow your shutter, increase aperture, or otherwise allow more light (to brighten your subject) you end up with an excessively bright (and often over-exposed) background.

My solution has been to find camera settings where the (bright) background was a decent light level, then flash the subject to make it artificially brighter so that it pops out.

Like I said, I've used trial and error to figure this one out, I'm sure there's a much better way, I just havent found it yet

Good luck!
Old Jun 17, 2008, 11:22 PM   #4

Conor, Thanks for the looking and tips.

I didn't had external flash and internal can not sync beyond 1/200. Also wanted to control DOF in first picture.

Anyway, Thanks for the tips again.