Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 17, 2008, 9:11 PM   #1

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2008, 6:35 AM   #2

Daniel....
When you say "Portrait mode better than landscape", what are you asking???
Is the shot better as far as exposier's in landscape???or portrait??? or are you asking for opinions on getting the prints made???
I shoot both at weddings and which way depends on where you are, what the client wants and how the client is going to use the photo...There are other factors as well with the mm lens you have...If your in a small space, a wide angle is a must if your shooting in landscape, unless you just want head shots...If you have the wide angle lens you have more leverage...Meaning you can shoot either and in the landscape, crop the unwanted edges out of the shot and make it portrait...I don't see a difference in my shots going either way, as far as exposiers...With flash though you pretty much have to have a system that keeps the flash on top of the lens...Otherwise the shadows will ruin the shot...The only real problem I have, and its not that big of a deal because photoshop will fix it, is keeping the horizon straight when I shoot portrait outside...
Refering to your posted photo, I think this shot would look super cropped in tight and the back ground eliminated for the most part...I assume that doing that would make it portrait instead of landscape...
If this wasn't the answer to your question, sorry for the rambling....:?

John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2008, 9:04 PM   #3

John at the Beach wrote:
Quote:
Refering to your posted photo, I think this shot would look super cropped in tight and the back ground eliminated for the most part...I assume that doing that would make it portrait instead of landscape...
If this wasn't the answer to your question, sorry for the rambling....:?
Thanks for playing around the scenario by cropping out the background. At the end of the day it all boils down to personal preference of either version.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 5:48 AM   #4

Daniel....
Yep, personal preference is the name of the game...In either case, your photo is really nice...She will like it...
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 10:13 AM   #5
conor

I perfer the portrait crop of this image. The only thing that I think is missing is a bit of background above her head. The subject feels very tight to the top of the frame.

Other than that, great shot!