Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 25, 2008, 10:56 PM   #11

My initial feel also was the number of carstampered withthesteadiness of the picture somewhat. After viewing a couple of ''shrinks'' things started to fall in line. HoweverI still wasn't quite satisfied with the stone wall leaving both sides of the frameeven though the stone patterns strengthened this crop to allow the viewer to stay within the frame more.

That said, after looking at the final crop, by Torgny, it seems to me the elimination of a couple of cars, allowing the left end of the stone wall to stay within the frame and gently curving downwards and to the left, even though maybe just a tiny bit too close to the end of the frame,and the ''opening up'' of the harbor to the left gives a more spacious and three dimensional look. Where all the carsupset the rhythmthe new look with the reduced number of vehicles seems to give it more breathingspaceand asense of where these boats may be headed once into the harbor. My eyes tell me the finalpositioning of the cars can actually fit in the picture. The viewer knows the boats are owned by someone, maybe the car owners,and the transportation bought them there. Further the cars can alsobe understood to mean no long hikes to get at the real pleasure of sailing out into the harbor on a bigred boat.
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 11:09 PM   #12

I forgot to add in the above that as Feetjai says had there been no cars in the picture, even the ones hiding behind the wall, there would have been no reason to say anything other than that picture is a winner.
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2008, 5:18 AM   #13

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
And dont forget the guy who painted his boat red.
Owners never get the credit do they:-)
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2008, 5:19 AM   #14

Torgny wrote:
Quote:
Hello, musket,

My take

straightened the horizon

removed some cars

changed hue (for the sky)

and ....... forgot

The dominating object is the red boat. There are other red objects.

Straightening the horizon/low wall and changing the sky tone would have been enough though

Seems cars ....

/T

Great edit, thought out............................musket.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 5:24 AM   #15

Andrew Waters wrote:
Quote:
My initial feel also was the number of carstampered withthesteadiness of the picture somewhat. After viewing a couple of ''shrinks'' things started to fall in line. HoweverI still wasn't quite satisfied with the stone wall leaving both sides of the frameeven though the stone patterns strengthened this crop to allow the viewer to stay within the frame more.

That said, after looking at the final crop, by Torgny, it seems to me the elimination of a couple of cars, allowing the left end of the stone wall to stay within the frame and gently curving downwards and to the left, even though maybe just a tiny bit too close to the end of the frame,and the ''opening up'' of the harbor to the left gives a more spacious and three dimensional look. Where all the carsupset the rhythmthe new look with the reduced number of vehicles seems to give it more breathingspaceand asense of where these boats may be headed once into the harbor. My eyes tell me the finalpositioning of the cars can actually fit in the picture. The viewer knows the boats are owned by someone, maybe the car owners,and the transportation bought them there. Further the cars can alsobe understood to mean no long hikes to get at the real pleasure of sailing out into the harbor on a bigred boat.
Quote:
forgot to add in the above that as Feetjai says had there been no cars in the picture, even the ones hiding behind the wall, there would have been no reason to say anything other than that picture is a winner.
Good thinking, actually there is a car park nearby if the motorists would just use it :-)............musket.

Attached Images