Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 23, 2008, 2:24 AM   #1

OK....Sunday evening I went up the hill, to catch a pail of sunset :idea:
Instead of just staying on the sand which is pretty much my norm. I also wanted to try more stuff in composing. Same sun, same day, but three different takes, just minutes apart. I hope you'll share your feelings with me on these, as I was breaking away from my comfort zone, and would really appreciate the feedback :bye:

OK...first up, my normal eye shot.....

Ok, this one I panned over, zoomed in on the stand of trees on the first ridge....

This was the last shot. I waited till the sun went behind the far ridge and zoomed in even more....

Well......what do you think?
eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2008, 2:33 AM   #2

I like 1 and 3, Eddie. The close up isnt as interesting. Its the panorama, or vastness that makes the scene breathtaking. If I were there when you took this picture I would have done an HDR. I think that would have been something else.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 7:11 PM   #3

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
I like 1 and 3, Eddie. The close up isnt as interesting. Its the panorama, or vastness that makes the scene breathtaking. If I were there when you took this picture I would have done an HDR. I think that would have been something else.
Thanks Bynx.....

Do our cameras do HDR?
Old Jun 23, 2008, 7:16 PM   #4

Gee....50 sumtin views, so I'll guess you wanted to open this thread, and I asked for some help/feedback.....but I got only one.

Was my question stupid?

Did I not makes any sense in what I asked for help with?

Why even open and look at a thread if you don't want to even partake in the nature of sharing?

Old Jun 23, 2008, 9:00 PM   #5

Ya Eddie, I certainly hear ya. Sometimes I get a hundred hits. All by the dumb with nothing to say. Really irks me. The least they could do was say good or bad or not worth looking at or anything at all. Our little fuji certainly does HDR. You have manual settings so just underexpose, bump up a couple of fstops and shoot again unti you are finally overexposed. 5 or 6 shots should usually do it. Then let Photomatic Pro do its job with your guidance.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 9:44 PM   #6

Number #1 will be the best if some of the large dark foreground is eliminated. It seems to me the sky is very interesting and stands by itself as the main attraction. I would leave ''just enough'' dark band at the bottom to give it some framing. Try using the scroll bar to get an idea what it can look like.
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 10:56 PM   #7

Right on the money Andrew. I agree 100%.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 11:40 PM   #8

Bynx, I forgot to mention in your first picture the eye is held in the frame all the way to the top by the gentle display of the sun's remaining raysrefecting off the clouds. This gives added substance to an already very good photograph in my opinion. (I was in a hurry earlier and forgot to mention it. That's what I get when the grandkids yell ''make some popcorn.''
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2008, 1:56 AM   #9

Thanks Andrew.....

Bynx....I'm not sure on how you do that....???

Can you explain a little more detail over at the Fuji board?
Old Jun 24, 2008, 3:39 PM   #10

#1 just doesn't do much for me. It's a sunset. Not that this one is great (the color is lacking), but it illustrates something that I find interesting.... the rays.

#2. Now I like this one. To me it gives the sense of openness and even the feeling of being alone. It would probaly enhance the feeling more if it was wider and cropped like a panorama.

#3. My comment to #1 applies to this one, too. But this one has a nice panorama type aspect to it.
memento is offline   Reply With Quote