Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:11 PM   #1

I'm not too sure about this one - it's not my usual type of picture. But composition is what I'm worst at, so thought I would ask what others think about it. Is this a horrible, boring shot, an almost-but-not-quite one or is it OK? Is there something you could recommend that would improve it - either post processing or by re-taking it? I'm very open to suggestions on this one (including "don't bother, nothing will salvage it").

What's bothering me, I guess, is that I can't make up my mind about it, and don't know why.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2008, 1:46 AM   #2

The ball itselfhas good exposure, even though the ball could have been made to be, somehow, more circular instead of the squashed appearance at the bottom.What is the partial square in the background? Is it a reflection of the ball? Maybe it could have had a bit of reflected light on it to make it more a part of the picture rather than being hidden. While I've worn out my criticisms one final thing. The background square is well ''into'' the ball and I'm thinking it should''puncture'' it somewhat but not be devoured by it.

I hope I haven't worn out my welcome. :-)
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2008, 7:20 AM   #3

The colours and shapes work well and for me, I really like this as an abstract photo? the angle is just, ok. I think i might try to do something with the ball reflection in the black glass (the base lets the work down with those handles or what ever they are, perhaps crop them out), hope this helps. Lets have some more abstract photos
bill43210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2008, 8:13 AM   #4

This is my take on it. The base the ball is sitting on is just a distraction. I would have shot it from a bit higher up so there is more wall space under the square.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2008, 8:14 AM   #5

Or this.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2008, 10:32 AM   #6

Thank you all - this is exactly the type of comments I was hoping for - an idea of what doesn't work and how to make it work better.

I had been thinking the window in the background was the distraction, rather than the base and the lights (I think that's what they are) being the distraction, but after seeing the edits, I agree that they are more jarring than the window. I might also try to lighten the window onlya bit to bring out the shape of the reflection. There isn't all that much choice in the matter of angles, as there's not complete access around the ball, and the ball is large enough it's hard to get it against the wall without seeing the edge of it (along with no higher windows looking down on it).

Any other suggestions?
Old Jun 28, 2008, 8:56 PM   #7

Good edit, I like the black square and think its very key to the picture, giving it 3 elements, which is comforting to view. Try darkening the square but keeping the reflection
bill43210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2008, 10:27 PM   #8

I played around a bit with the square (lightening and darkening)but couldn't get it to look any better than it is - I lose the reflection. Just cropping the bottom a bit and cloning out the lights on both the base and the reflection helped it a great deal - this is what I came up with. I'm much happier with it - amazing how little things help so much!
Attached Images

Old Jul 4, 2008, 3:14 AM   #9

Quote:
it's not my usual type of picture...
Nice abstract study, Harriet : ) And I see that Bynx's take aboveproved to be useful!

I'd suggest smooting the surface of the background wall and selectively creating two more differently exposed spheres and then merging them in one, which altogether could provide afurther dimensional look!

Below is a sketchy try of mine : )

Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2008, 9:57 PM   #10

Interesting idea about taking the surface texture out of the wall - it does give it a different feel. I had thought to leave both of them with the stucco texture as a way to associating the ball with the wall. Your way makes it even more abstract, bringing out the ball more.