Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jul 1, 2008, 10:28 AM   #1

Hi. I was looking for some critique on a picture I shot recently with my XTi. I ran 3 different versions of it while post processing and I've looked at them too much and they all look the same now. If you could, I'd be interested to get some feedback on:
  1. Which pic looks best (if any)? [/*]
  2. What I might do to improve the shot (framing the shot, post processing, etc...)? [/*]
  3. How crappy is my photography skill?
Any help would be appreciated! I'm still a bit noob with my dSLR and I'm a little sure of how the pavement turned out during post processing. I'm not sure ifthe latter is because it'stoobusy with all the cracks or a contrast issue because of the dark background but it was still bright behind me (the rain was coming towards me).

I used the following:
[/*]
  1. Camera: Canon Xti (400D) [/*]
  2. Lens: Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 [/*]
  3. Filters: UV and circular polarizer[/*]
Any help would be appreciated! I'm continually looking to improve. Thanks!

Image 1:

Image 2 (same as Image 1 but cropped and slightly different levels and contrast)

Image3 (basically the same as Image 2 but with a little bit more contrast)

mofo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2008, 11:40 AM   #2

The pic looks ok. I was thinking the following:

How would a black car look with a lighter background. Would that be better?

The car's details are not visible as the side is too dark. I would use a fill flash to light up the details.

Use your camera on it's side and capture the picture a bit closer. It's the car that's the subject. Too much space.

Last: Can i lend your car?
feetjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 12:47 PM   #3

i like the 3rd one better but car is a little too dark, so in photoshop with a gradiant overlay i darkened the sky and lightened the car shadows

improvement??

an even lower angle would maybe have been better, love the composition though !

Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 2:18 PM   #4

feetjai wrote:
Quote:
The pic looks ok. I was thinking the following:

How would a black car look with a lighter background. Would that be better?

The car's details are not visible as the side is too dark. I would use a fill flash to light up the details.

Use your camera on it's side and capture the picture a bit closer. It's the car that's the subject. Too much space.

Last: Can i lend your car?
Thanks!

It's quite possible that the bright sun behind me wasn't ideal for a photoshoot. I got stuck at work last Saturday to get some specs released and on the way home I saw a nice, open parking lot with lots of rain clouds coming in. I had my camera with me so I figured I'd take some pix. :? I could always use the practice! It was mid-day though and I think the bright sun coupled with the dark background and especially the dark colored car just didn't mix well. I have a bunch of other pix I took from the same lot but I haven't gone through them yet. Here's a picture I took of a friend's car for an on-line sale ad: http://www.e-owned.com/albums/userpi.../normal_01.jpg It's also a black car but against a lighter background. The sun was still up and washed out the detail. Against a light background and evening sun, it seems easier to capture detail: http://www.e-owned.com/albums/userpi...olor_small.jpg
Old Jul 1, 2008, 2:25 PM   #5

Thanks for the additional post-process! ...that gives me an idea. I'll try it out tonight. :idea: Yeah, the car is dark. I was kind of torn between keeping the car black and losing detail or bringing out detail and losing color.

Glad you liked the composition. Just one of many things for me to practice. :lol: I have some lower angle pix at home. I didn't get a chance to go through all the pictures yet. I'll try to sort through them and see if one is worth posting up.

EDIT:

Forgot I had this stored on-line......similar to what I originally posted, but taken during the evening with less harsh lighting and a lighter pavement.

Old Jul 1, 2008, 2:26 PM   #6

I agree with the others that the car is a little dark and you can't see the details on the sides. However I do like the clouds and the foreground of the first one with the yellow stripping. It adds some colour to the shot which I like. Thats my opinion anyway.

JW

-having worked in the auto testing industry for 3+ years I know the feeling of having to work long hours, but at least its with a beautiful auto. Nice shot.
jerwilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 2:31 PM   #7

I'd like to see the headlights turned on and, if possible, wet down the pavement.
BEECEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 2:32 PM   #8

that last pic is great but for one thing.........the building and trees, if it was the road surface and the sky it would be awesome

just did this to show u what i mean,...........no distractions just a car to look at......sorry for quick rough edit but im sure u get what i mean

i think you have style mate and an eye for a good car shot........did u plan the shoot to use the stormy moody sky?? keep up the great work.

and just for beecee...........lights on and best way of showing wet i could come up with

Gary

Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 9:18 PM   #9

first of all i like the photo and the idea you had! of the 3 i like what you did in the 3rd the best. i also like what reanimator did! but lets get to your original photo and idea. you could have used a back light probably in the area of the right rear tire, just so you could seperate it from the background. then you could have used a nice studio strobe off to your right to light the car from the front, you could have exposed on the backgrond(cloudy sky)then took your shot!! it would have been really cool! anyway, i have been working on those techniques. i'm not exactly where i want to be just yet. i will be shooting a breakdance crew next week sometime, and i can really work on it! anyway, good luck, john
airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2008, 12:42 PM   #10

Reanimator wrote:
Quote:
that last pic is great but for one thing.........the building and trees, if it was the road surface and the sky it would be awesome

just did this to show u what i mean,...........no distractions just a car to look at......sorry for quick rough edit but im sure u get what i mean

i think you have style mate and an eye for a good car shot........did u plan the shoot to use the stormy moody sky?? keep up the great work.

and just for beecee...........lights on and best way of showing wet i could come up with

Gary
Looks like you're good at editing pictures!
feetjai is offline   Reply With Quote