Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jul 2, 2008, 11:51 PM   #1

here is a shot of my son, i try to use him as model because he's always around, and most of the time he goes along with it! hahahahahahahaha anyway, let me know what think good or bad, i am mainly working on my white balance, and exposure. i truly am working on trying to get this right, i love using the sun as a backlight. also give some insight as to composition, cropping, dof or anything you can think of! i did have to shoot in a hurry, because it had just finished raining, as it has been raining quite a bit here lately, and with the humidity my lens kept fogging up! thank you in advance, john
p.s. i used an old 285 vivitar on a tripod, and a very inexpensive ebay transmitter and receiver.
Attached Images

airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2008, 7:52 AM   #2

Nice picture, but I'll comment on a few things, since that's what you requested.

I would say the pic is a little over exposed, as the skin tone is a little too white, especially on the left side of the pic. And the pic is really cluttered with the things in the background, especially to the each side of your subject. It looks like there's a crab trap (Inoticed you're from the Bayou state, so it could be)and other items in the background that are distracting.If they wer part of the picture, that would be different, but they don't seem to play into the picture.

Nice depth of field, maybe it could be a little more blurred, but it's enough for me.

Using the sun as a backdrop os a difficult scenario. Unless you're using spot metering, your camera will often include the bright background to compute the exposure. If you've got a reflector, bounce some of the sun back onto the subject with the white or gold (Sunsets, swimsuit or beach photography, especially) side.

Keep up the good work, and remember that family members will only go along with things for so long (Spoken from experience). LOL!
HughesInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 4:16 PM   #3

hi hughes,

thank you for your thoughts. i will work on them. and your are right i don't know why i didn't use center metering. here is one that i had did awhile back
Attached Images

airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2008, 4:26 AM   #4

Hey, how did I skip this picture of your son?? Looks like quite a well behaved and competent boy thanks to the natural environment ( distinct with the tools around ) he's been enjoying : ) I find Hughes's comment quite informative. Meanwhile I also tested to see the overexposed parts on the subject are perfectly recoverable with a selective shadow/highlight tool and about 10% saturation boost on the processed areas. Of course, the best thing is to attain the ideal exposure at the time of shooting : )

In the second picture (which is a natural looking lively (cropped??) portrait) I see a bit whitish tone on the skin, which is, again, quite recoverable, imo..

Btw,congrats on your legendary flash unit of vivitar

Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 5:04 PM   #5

yup, the first one, less story to tell..
and the second one.., more story in it..., and litle over exposure on both..
but still great picts...
ofixmyth is offline   Reply With Quote