Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jul 16, 2008, 3:12 AM   #11

beachboy2 wrote:
Quote:
Yes my version above is a little oversaturated. Yellowish rather than reddish.
Oh, never mind dear mate! In fact,I liked it since Iprefer strong, spicy stuff : )

.................................................. ......................

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Interesting set of pictures. I like both the HDR and the tweaked raw version, I'm using a lousy laptop monitor so not totally sure about colors (even with a Huey on the laptop, it's still not right). In any case, the scene is wonderful and your picture makes me want to visit.
Thanks for your kind appreciation, Harriet..Actually, this one is the introduction picture of a series featuring the Artemis Temple at Sardis, I'm intending to post at Landscape or Architecturalphotos.

Btw, please let me know when you decide to realize your will to visit! Well, I already assisted Temple University's (Philedelphia)summer school program here in Anatolia as a lecturer andnavigator!! for twoterms :-)
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2008, 6:35 PM   #12

Just wish I could head that direction, but it's going to be a few years before I can make it happen. Sounds like I'd have a fabulous time!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 12:43 PM   #13

hi bahadir,

the actual shot is superb, but i really like the hdr image the best, the exposure blending seems a little washed out.

what are you using to create these?

i have been experimenting with photomatix a little recently - i find the whole 'hdr' thing quite exciting

regards

bloater

www.alanf.co.uk
bl0at3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 7:31 PM   #14

The composition is great on this one. I like the tweaked RAW image best, though. HDR is very interesting to me, but looks artificial.

I just downloaded a trial program, and I'm messing with it. I learned wind-blown trees and moving clouds aren't good subjects.

I'll try something later this week.

The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2008, 4:27 AM   #15

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Just wish I could head that direction, but it's going to be a few years before I can make it happen. Sounds like I'd have a fabulous time!
The land with its earliest examples of architectre will serve a great fieldwork for your photography, I believe! Just crossing fingers Harriet : )

.................................................. ...........

bl0at3rwrote:
Quote:
the actual shot is superb, but i really like the hdr image the best, the exposure blending seems a little washed out.
what are you using to create these?
i have been experimenting with photomatix a little recently - i find the whole 'hdr' thing quite exciting
Thank youfor the feedback Alan! I, too, find the whole hdr experience quite exciting due to the possibility of attaining3D look! I used the photomatix for these.

Btw, I paid a visit to your web site. Some verynice b&w pictures there! I wonder if 'the cute fair boy' is your son and the lady with the sun glasses your wife : )

.................................................. .................

The Barbarian wrote:
Quote:
The composition is great on this one. I like the tweaked RAW image best, though. HDR is very interesting to me, but looks artificial.
I just downloaded a trial program, and I'm messing with it. I learned wind-blown trees and moving clouds aren't good subjects.
I'll try something later this week.
Thanks for the kind comment, my friend!Itis the'sweet' composition whichhas always been my priority : )

According to my humble experience I can say that, like the b&w, HDRhas much from its performer starting at the time of shooting. I belive you will be satisfied with the results enough to share with us! Looking forward to seeing them being already certain of your good taste and considerable photographic experience : )

Btw, if wind-blown trees kept me from shooting a sceneto be hdr(ed), I would not be able to shoot anywhere around where I live ; ) When I shot the three handhald pictures for the hdr below, the thistles at the foreground were quiteswinging with the wind as well as the trees behind..

Old Jul 18, 2008, 10:22 AM   #16

Interesting experiments, I thought I'd have a go as well...........:|.........musket.
Attached Images

musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2008, 6:56 AM   #17

musket wrote:
Quote:
Interesting experiments, I thought I'd have a go as well...........:|.........musket.
Dear musket, I'm happy to receive your variation whichlooks to havetheknown'cool' tone of Ray Banto me
Old Jul 20, 2008, 9:44 AM   #18

hi bahadiri like the hdr and raw nice work
jollyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 3:13 PM   #19

'Tweaked RAW' and beachboy's amendment of it both suit me fine as photographic representations that I could reconcile with my visual memory if I'd seen the scene.

The HDR enhancement isn't quite enough to make it like a stylised quasi-photographic painting, a style I have sometimes liked, but it is enough for me to find it less realisticand therefore less satisfactory.

As many of us round here have said over HDR, it's matter of personal taste, and I think enthusiastic twiddlers should either confidently choose one themselves, or else (as here) have a sprinkling of varieties, so we can 'pick an apple just as ripe as we choose', so to speak. This is, of course, the correct forum to do that.

If you'll bear with me...

A year ago at http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...amp;forum_id=8, a somewhat anaemic shot of mine (first in that thread) was radically Photoshop-amended by our friend Alex James, (lower down the thread) before I'd heard of HDR. Now, I don't like either version, but I felt his amendment looked like the wildly oversaturated seaside postcards we have in the UK, that come at the cheap end of the scale, with beautiful photographs on the more expensive varieties. That juxtaposition illustrates extremes of taste. Not long after that I turned up my default saturation level permanently, but not far enough for Alex's taste at that time.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2008, 2:47 AM   #20

jollyr wrote:
Quote:
hi bahadiri like the hdr and raw nice work
Thank you for the incentive feedback : )

.................................................. .....................

@ Alan: Dear Alan,I am pleased to read your esteemed opinion. In the first place I should say I regret having missedyourpost in which you also kindly addressed to me! Besides, I should add that I don't find the first picture there anaemic at all!! Just some levelsas Alex had suggested anda little highlight/shadow ( or simply a pseudo hdr job:G ) would do.

Honestly my reaction to some hdr pictures are quite similar to yours, which isabsolutely thanks to the user's fault, imo!( You know they say if you're looking for the technical fault, just look in the mirror) On the other hand, I've seen some great hdr examples, I'd almost call'work of art'which could not otherwise been achieved partly due to the known limited dynamic rangeof our digital cameras.In this regard Iquite appreciatethewords bythe late art historian E.H.Gombrich' Actually I do not think that there are any wrong reasons for liking a statue or a picture...There are wrong reasons for disliking a work of art' ! Well, of course I do not claim my attempts are anywhere near being works of art, or technique alone can attain it...I'm aware of my lack of knowledge, experienceas well asequipment. Fortunately they can be improved as withmatters oftaste : )So,such in depth and sincerefeedbacks are invaluable for me!

Cheers,

Bahadır