Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jul 21, 2008, 1:19 PM   #21

bahadir wrote:
Quote:

bl0at3rwrote:
Quote:
the actual shot is superb, but i really like the hdr image the best, the exposure blending seems a little washed out.
what are you using to create these?
i have been experimenting with photomatix a little recently - i find the whole 'hdr' thing quite exciting
Thank youfor the feedback Alan! I, too, find the whole hdr experience quite exciting due to the possibility of attaining3D look! I used the photomatix for these.

Btw, I paid a visit to your web site. Some verynice b&w pictures there! I wonder if 'the cute fair boy' is your son and the lady with the sun glasses your wife : )

hi bahadir, thanks for your kind comments on my site, i am enjoying experimenting with all types of picture styles

the boy is my nephew and the lady is indeed my wife.

keep up the good work with your pictures

regards alan

www.alanf.co.uk
bl0at3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2008, 5:47 PM   #22

Thanks again for the further feedback and encouragement, Alan!

I will be visiting there occasionally ; )
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 4:27 AM   #23

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
musket wrote:
Quote:
Interesting experiments, I thought I'd have a go as well...........:|.........musket.
Dear musket, I'm happy to receive your variation whichlooks to havetheknown'cool' tone of Ray Banto me
Ah! but beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder and with expertise in photographic

techniques, filters etc, and PP to arrive at what? truthful rendition? or a

dramatised or pleasing rendition? ......You take your pick :-)

In strong sunshine a lot of people would be wearing sunglasses to protect their

eyes and to see more clearly so their view of their surroundings differ from those

thatdon't.UV and polarizingfilters help block unwanted light getting into the

camera the idea being that it sees more clearly and can therefore pull more

information from the scene that otherwise would be swamped by unwanted light

rays, other filters either on the camera or in PP help to enhance details, 'colour

temperature' and 'white balance' etc......All in all you pays your money and takes

your pick :-)........BTW I used 'color pilot' for my variation edit.........................musket.
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 7:51 AM   #24

Hi Bahadir

I really am glad you started this thread... it has been a good lot of reading and hopefully sharing and some learning for us.

My personal opinion... well I probably prefer the "raw conversion" one the most.... however maybe my "perfect preference" would be a photo between raw conversion and "tweaked raw".

The HDR also has good elements in it... imho, espcially the first third foreground of the frame... that is, up to where those wooden structures are. The columns aren't quite the best imho, and the trees / forest in background and especially the sky don't look quite as good to my eye as the raw types.

I think Alan's post (and your response, bahadir) - are a good way of wording about personal opinion and taste, etc. I certainly have learned to appreciate what people like and why concerning elements of photos, by their way of explanations... so let's all keep sharing.

Thanks again B.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2008, 3:13 AM   #25

@ musket: Thank you fortheinsightful thoughtswhich alsomade me consider the use of filters once again!So farI've followedthe purist approachclaiming every piece of glass added on the lensmight degrade the IQ somehow. So the only filter I owned was a B&W Polarising filterin my bag,which I did notusefor that photocause I was shooting for hdr (oh,I knowit is akeeperfor glass and surface reflections however!). I remember a small talk between me anda camera store ownerduring which he was complained about the dropin filter sales thanks to sophisticated softwares showingsome drawers full offilters...Anyway I wonder if there could be any filterfor that particulartime of shootingto improve the end result:?

.................................................. .........

@ pj1974: Oh, so glad you're there again with your sincere and insightful comments : ) You're one of thosewho canremember the tradition here, which helped me greatly for my part in my learning curve ( Oh, Imust also mention the freedigital photo secrets by David Peterson,for if there's somethingI can't abide it's ingratitude!)

As for the comparison, I was torn between the tweaked raw and hdr. In fact I couldmake a compromise merging their strengths (sky, foreground, etc.)at photoshopbutpreservedthem asthey arefor your esteemed considerations keeping me away from the dangers of solipsism: )
Old Jul 30, 2008, 4:39 PM   #26

bahadir wrote:
Quote:

@ musket: Thank you fortheinsightful thoughtswhich alsomade me consider the use of filters once again!So farI've followedthe purist approachclaiming every piece of glass added on the lensmight degrade the IQ somehow. So the only filter I owned was a B&W Polarising filterin my bag,which I did notusefor that photocause I was shooting for hdr (oh,I knowit is akeeperfor glass and surface reflections however!). I remember a small talk between me anda camera store ownerduring which he was complained about the dropin filter sales thanks to sophisticated softwares showingsome drawers full offilters...Anyway I wonder if there could be any filterfor that particulartime of shootingto improve the end result:?

.................................................. .......
I thought I'd have another try, increasing the red a tad this time:-)

............................musket.
Attached Images

Old Jul 31, 2008, 9:03 AM   #27

Oh, I do appreciate your latest take, my friend,in which I noticed an 'improvement' over yourearlier version! Allowing the images in larger size than 244k through a host web site helps the effort I believe Btw, do you think it would be a good ideato put your earlier versiontherein the same post under the this one, but without reducing the size,to allow the observers to compare them more easily ? : )
Old Jul 31, 2008, 11:35 AM   #28

bahadir wrote:
Quote:

Oh, I do appreciate your latest take, my friend,in which I noticed an 'improvement' over yourearlier version! Allowing the images in larger size than 244k through a host web site helps the effort I believe Btw, do you think it would be a good ideato put your earlier versiontherein the same post under the this one, but without reducing the size,to allow the observers to compare them more easily ? : )

Unfortunately Ihad deletedmy original larger files so only have the reduced versions :sad:

Files + histograms

Original RAW:

first edit :I could have cropped more of the right side

Second edit: increased the red a tad

Hopefully this will make it easier to make comparisons.................:bye:............muske t.

ps. if you use photome on the histogram pics you might get a funny result :lol:

Old Jul 31, 2008, 2:45 PM   #29

Hello bahadir, Ithink the hdris very good not to over done, also the composition, the tweaked raw I thought was good as well, exposure blend is a little over exposed. I would disagree with Alan when he said he liked beachboy's version I think it is over saturated, but as Alan said its personal taste, we are here to learn off each other, and I myself, have learned a lot over the years. The other thing I ment to say was the time of day the photo was shot, maybe bahadir could not do anything about that, but he knows that if it was shot early morning or later on in the evening it would not look as flat. I know you won't mind bahadir, I just can't help trying your photos out in B/W.
alex james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2008, 2:48 PM   #30

here it is, I hope.
Attached Images

alex james is offline   Reply With Quote