Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jul 15, 2008, 5:53 PM   #1

Hi, hereis a photowith a Quantaray 75-300mm. It works only in manual focus onmy Nikon D40.

I've read many bad things about this particular brand but it was very cheap (off Ebay). I would appreciate your comments; turtle's pic is at full zoom in. Thanks!
Attached Images

artmustel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2008, 6:19 PM   #2
Super Moderator

As for the lens it's hard to tell at this size but it looks pretty good.

As for the photo, I would have rotated and cropped out the distracting foreground (I guess the edge of the pool). The colours are lovely and the blue background does a great job of setting off the turtle so that worked really well. With manual focus it seems you have done a good job, something that is not easy without a focus screen (no dSLR's come with them as standard).

Here is the sort of thing I'm thinking of with this.

Mark
Attached Images

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2008, 6:30 PM   #3

wow, Mark...much better! Thanks for comment and fix; this forum is great to learn.

By the way, this lens is marked as "macro" but I don't think it is since there is no switch for modes on it and minimum distance to focus is 1.5m.

Focusing it is not too hard with the help of the green dot on the viewfinder.

Thanks!
artmustel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2008, 11:33 PM   #4

Nice picture, I like Mark's crop. Sometimes the store-brand lenses can producepretty goodresults, and yours looks pretty good.

Zoom lenses that are macro don't necessarily need a switch or a mode setting- I have an old Kiron 80-200 lens that doesn't have a mode switch. I think itcan do 1:4 (a 4 cm subject would take up 1 cm on the sensor). It's minimum focus distance isn't all that much different. Macro doesn't necessarily mean that you can focus up to a couple of inches from a subject (though you can with some macro lenses) - it usually refers more to the magnification.

I've not found manual focus that big of a deal either. I think of getting a split screen, but find there are far more important things to get for the camera (like another lens...). It does take some practice, though.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2008, 3:30 AM   #5
Super Moderator

artmustel wrote:
Quote:
wow, Mark...much better! Thanks for comment and fix; this forum is great to learn.

By the way, this lens is marked as "macro" but I don't think it is since there is no switch for modes on it and minimum distance to focus is 1.5m.

Focusing it is not too hard with the help of the green dot on the viewfinder.

Thanks!
You are welcome, and I agree about the forum, I learnt a lot of what I know but putting tips from here into action and seeing what works..... I've still a huge way to go and will probably never get as good as I want but it's fun.

I've not tried MF in anger with any lenses since my old days of film so didn't think about the AF point lighting up which must help.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote