Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jul 18, 2008, 2:47 PM   #1

Hi!

Please let me know what is wrong with this picture. I am a newbie that wants to learn, and this place is a great school. If you don't mind, list all my beginner's mistakes and "have no mercy" :-)

Thanks!

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...stel/int-1.jpg
artmustel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2008, 4:27 PM   #2

Quote:
and "have no mercy" :-)

Ok! Here we go...

Looks overexposed by the flashlight and much crowded at the first sight! I'd clone out the flying bugto the left bottom, for example... Btw, what's the other bug doing therenext tomy favourite flower:? You'd make a macro of that bug closer if you really found it interesting!! I also found the white backdrop is a bit much distracting! Looking for criticism,you should have included the exif

Now, am I notmerciles enough ??:GWell, joke aside, I'd use the slow sync. for the flash for a natural look and a shallow aperture a less distracting background. I'd also try to eliminate anything which would distract from my subject.

Cheers,

Bahadır

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2008, 5:22 PM   #3

I, too, have trouble using a flash with flowers - I've tried various materials as diffusers. I'm having more success using a coffee filter (I really should try cutting down a plastic alcohol bottle). I'll have to try the slow sync suggested by Bahadir, hadn't thought about that. So often flash makes an object, especially flowers, look flat and over-processed. I've been experimenting with using a flash off-camera but still haven't figured it all out yet.

I'm not crazy about light backgrounds - it seems like my eye goes to what's brightest/lightest in a scene. In the case of your picture, my eye kept looking at the blank background then back to the flowers. I'm not much for still-lifes, going more for the natural look. Hopefully someone who's better at such things can give you some better advice than I can. And yes, the flying insect in the lower corner is distracting. I don't mind the one that's on the flower.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2008, 5:24 PM   #4

Hello, bahadir, and many thanks for your comments.

Ok, regarding the background, it is the sky...how do I eliminate or "mitigate" it?

About the bugs...I really did not notice them until I saw the photo on my computer. But I understand what you said about the crowding, and will surely take your advice for my next postings.

Bahadir, how do I include the "exif"?

And I really appreciate your advices since I've admired your pictures since I entered in this forum, however never commented on them precisely because my lack of photographic knowledge. Those auditorium pictures of yours (the ones of the violinist woman) are impressive (although I would not know why!:-)

I'm looking forward to post more photos, and receiving your critique.

Thanks!
Old Jul 18, 2008, 5:28 PM   #5

mtngal, thanks for your comments. I agree with youso next time I will try not to use the fill flash on flowers. (At least not until I learn how to do it correctlyPlease keep commenting on my future postings. Thanks!
Old Jul 18, 2008, 5:54 PM   #6

Flowers are a living breathing entity. With your lighting the scene looks like a really good artistic man-made bunch of plastic. There is no warmth, softness or life in the picture. Im not concerned about whats in the picture for now. Its just the first impression Im commenting on. Composition is another story.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2008, 8:32 PM   #7

You are absolutely right, Bynx. I really appreciate all your comments; I will try to improve with your help. Hereare a couple more, please let me know . Simply and directly, it is the good thing about this forum: all critiques are constructive. Thanks!

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...ustel/reds.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m.../redbells2.jpg
Old Jul 18, 2008, 10:32 PM   #8

The common problem I see with both your photos is focus problems and subject. I think flowers should have a main subject. Or if its a group the group should be clearly defined. When I look at both your shots I dont know where to look. Id separate the main subject as best as possible and concentrate on that. This isnt a great example but it was taken in the woods. I wore a black t-shirt for just this use. I stuck 2 sticks in the ground to hold my shirt as a black background. I isolated the 2 trilliums from a bunch and gave the photo a main subject. I am still not sure if I should have used 2 but I liked the front view and side view of the flowers.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2008, 11:00 PM   #9

I understand that, Bynx. Will follow your advice on my next posting and will work on the focus issue.

Thanks!
Old Jul 19, 2008, 6:43 AM   #10

artmustel wrote:
Quote:
Hello, bahadir, and many thanks for your comments.

Ok, regarding the background, it is the sky...how do I eliminate or "mitigate" it?
Quote:
Bahadir, how do I include the "exif"?
Quote:
I really appreciate your advices since I've admired your pictures since I entered in this forum, however never commented on them precisely because my lack of photographic knowledge.
Mypleasure, dear mate! The picture above you see is a 'classic' from Bynx, the backdrop of which he attained by simply using his black T shirt on his walk, which might also address toyour question, imo : )

Actually some resizing softwares harshly rip off!! the exif while doing their jobs, while others, at least,provide an optionenablingthe user tokeep the exif. In this regard, I find the Photoshop quite a decent tool for resing! If you don't want to bother anyway, you might also addthe exifas a footnote!

Oh, please!Mypictures are meant to share...Ieven oftenask my little daughter and son to get their truely'unbiased' opinions free from half knowledge:-) Surely,I admire each and every comment to keep me away from 'solipsizm' ; ) My only sorrow is about the ones who are too quick to take offence

Cheers,

Bahadır

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote