Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jul 21, 2008, 8:10 PM   #1

I wanted to create an atmosphere of tension. Does this work for you. Why or why not? Criticism is welcome. Thanks for looking.
Attached Images

Bynx is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2008, 8:38 PM   #2

I like it, Bynx. It looks like an old movie photogram and certainly shows "tension". I would had preferred the young person image blurred or out of focus, but it is only a personal appreciation. Good job!
artmustel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2008, 8:49 PM   #3

Bynx, yes, there's tension alright. I just can't decide which character scares me the most -- the Muslim terrorist or the left-handed patriot. :-)
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2008, 9:30 PM   #4

Here is a color version I monkeyed with quite a bit.
Attached Images

Old Jul 22, 2008, 5:09 AM   #5

Ah, fathers and sons...Come on Paul! Give him the car keys and settle:blah:The fatherly look in your eyes is still observable while holding that pistol

Btw, your degree of humour amazes me just remembering your inspiration posted in this forum :G

On the other hand I cannot bring myself tofull entertainment remembering over one million of the fathers of sons who have died andare very likely to keep on dying more during theoil clash following the peak oil! You may know the famous saying: Only after the last river has been poisoned Only after the last fish has been caught, Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten ...

PS. artistically I prefer the B&W version emphasizing the drama!

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 6:32 AM   #6

Thanks Art and Walter. While I tried to create tension I only see Santa Claus playing bang bang with a boy.

Bahadir, while I like the B&W over the color I started with I tried a Gritty set of actions which looks great in the example which was given. It didnt seem to work on my pic though. Thanks for your input. Its always nice to hear from you.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 8:38 AM   #7

Hi Bynx

Great shot! Fun and yet very clever! Well done.

I think the "noise" and grain nature of this photo makes it feel like a 70's crime / thriller. I sort of prefer the black and white version, but both are good.

Maybe the only slight change (or 2nd option) I would like to see, is if your back were more to the wall... i.e. your right shoulder further away from the camera... so it looks like you were more "pressed to the wall".

So... who took the photo? Tripod with timer? Or a willing 3rd party (family member?)

The expressions are great! You've got great imagination and execution.

Well done again.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 2:23 PM   #8

Hi PJ. Its been a while since we heard from you. Unfortunately there was only my son and myself. The camera was on timer so I couldnt see my position until after the fact. I didnt like the pose and you are right about being more flat to the wall. I will try this again keeping in mind what you said. Thanks.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 2:45 PM   #9

This looks like the one posted in another forum called "Counter Insurgency" I have been the only one to comment on both versions which I thought to be quite good.

This just looks a bit more comical to me in comparison.

Here is the first one posted by insomniac31 which I prefer over the later version

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...878553#p878553
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 5:27 PM   #10

Thanks VIZ. That pic was my inspiration to get out with my son and try to do a photograph of what I think was a piece of artwork. As I said previously my efforts are comical and to me, looks like Santa playing games. What I like about this concept is that the camera sees two subjects who are quite unaware of each other. This opens the possibilities for many humorous, dramatic, scary, or otherwise different events - depending on the point of view.