Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 5, 2008, 8:41 PM   #1

I was standing on my boat when I took this last evening. I know the rule of thirds, but my platform was rocking :O

Do you think it detracts from what I was able to capture?

I did have to straighten it a tad.....

eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2008, 12:02 AM   #2

Hmmmm... I like the way the water close up has such clarity and still manages to lead all the way out to the sun. Very good depth of field. It actually kind of makes it feel like the sun is relatively close (as compared to how close it really is), yet very tiny.

I do kind of wish you had caught the sun a little higher, so there was more to it. Just a tad. And the sky is a little bland.

But, really, the colors and clarity are amazing, given the lack of light. Very cool, indeed.
coachjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 9:25 AM   #3

Unless you mind the aspect ratio, you can always experiment... what do you think of this? (hope you don't mind)
Attached Images

polarwasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 12:04 PM   #4

Nice shot, could also lend itself to being stretched..................musket.
Attached Images

musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 10:01 PM   #5

Hi Eddie

I think this is a GREAT example of how members of Steve's forums work together to suggestion ideas, techniques and we all benefit in the end.

Firstly, let me say that the "rule of thirds" is perhaps not always understood well. It is indeed officially called the "rule" of thirds, but I think we would do better to call it (or at least THINK of it as the GUIDE of thirds). It is not a RULE that always works, neither for that matter a rule that always HAS to work. Rather it is a principle that when applied to maybe 80% of photography can benefit it.

I certainly have increased the quality of my composition by reading about, practising and applying the rule of thirds (both in taking the photo and in post processing, e.g. cropping). And many of my favourite photos clearly use the "guide of thirds". However also some of my best photos don't follow it!

Polar wasp's crop and suggestion is a good and natural way to apply the rule of thirds, and I think it shows how a simple 10 second crop bring a totally new perspective to the photo. In this crop, imho the photo tends to speak about the water leading up to the sun, rather than the setting sun as the main focus. Well done Polar wasp!

Musket's take on it is very interesting too... thinking outside the box, and a great way to get a quick and still workable panorama from your original photo. I think it's creative and certainly works for this type of scene. If there were other things in the photo (e.g. a person or a boat, etc) it might not have worked... but for this composition I think it really does.

I have actually undertaken a very simple crop, and aligned the "central cross-hairs" of my crop tool to be at the very centre of the sun, and then cropped. So basically what I'm saying is this is another alternative, to actually go against the rule of thirds for another perspective, actually FORCING that very interesting small but bright dot of the sun right in the CENTRE of the photo (with a straight horizon). I'm not saying this the best option, but it's just an other take on it.

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 10:03 PM   #6

and hi again....

finally here is another quick option... where I actually cropped the sides to present a square photo... again with the sun directly in the middle / centre of the composition.

(by the way I forgot to say I love the colours of your photo, eddie... lovely evening hues!)

So in conclusion... several different takes on the one original photo are possible, with good outcomes. Hope you don't mind my post either!!

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2008, 5:46 PM   #7

Don't mind one bit at all

What I liked about the original shot, was the changing colors and darkening, as the sun had less influence......

As in most scenes in life, it is very hard to duplicate what the eye is treated to. The fading color(s) was spectacular, almost a northern light effect, but I felt without some foreground (the water) I'd lose the perspective of vastness, again, easy in person to experience, hard for me to capture.

What I enjoyed about you guys taking the time to actually show me by reworking the shot, is how the picture took on a whole new personality. To me....that was amazing and speaks volumes at just how critical a composition needs to be framed. You can have a wonderful subject that any noob (me) can capture, but with some imagination into how best to capture and present it, a good subject can become a masterpiece!!!

Thanxs all......great feedback and lesson :G
eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2008, 5:30 PM   #8

I like pj's crop best.
In polar wasp's first crop the texture of the 3 main ripples in the foreground grabs my attention first, instead of the sun. I also like the idea of stretching very much.
In your original crop I dont like the dead space of the sky that much.

Very good shot, I especially like the texture of the water.
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 3:21 PM   #9

Here's one where the island on the right has been shifted to the left and the result then cropped.
Attached Images

Herb is offline   Reply With Quote