Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

View Poll Results: Which lighting do you prefer?
1st picture 9 90.00%
2nd picture 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 19, 2008, 3:22 PM   #11
Administrator

I prefer the first one, too. It looks like it's got a bit shallower DOF from using a wider aperture, a darker background exposure, better skin tones and more.

The skin tones in the second image don't look as good to my eyes (probably the difference between the ambient light and flash temperature causing a bit warmer look), + it seems to be exposed a bit brighter compared to the first one (including the grass, background, etc.).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2008, 5:23 PM   #12

Nice work on the post processing and its something I would do on my own son's photo. Do you have time to do 276 of them before we put the order in Wednesday night? We don't do any post processing on Sportraits, due to the amount of work that is involved.
Ripsnort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2008, 6:37 PM   #13
Super Moderator

Ripsnort wrote:
Quote:
We don't do any post processing on Sportraits, due to the amount of work that is involved.
Ouch, every print I sell is edited for colour correction, exposure, contrast/brightness/curves etc. This includes the DVD of photos a client gets at the end of a wedding with usually about 300-400 photos (assuming I've done the evening as well).

I don't know how much you are selling for but it makes a huge difference and if you are using manual settings in a controlled environment then you can batch process if needed to speed things up.

I wouldn't offer anything but the best to a paying customer and generally that is not what comes straight out of the camera......

Just my $0.02 (well I'm in the US at the moment so can work with your money LOL)
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2008, 6:45 PM   #14

Mark,

We use batch processing for exposure, color correction, etc. (That only takes a couple of minutes for 300 photos) What I am saying is we don't do airbrushing, covering up acne, etc. (unless there is an obvious problem with the photos) Considering the distance from the subject, its usually not a problem. These are football players, not a Bride and Groom.

My goal is to set the shot up right and do as little post processing as possible.
Ripsnort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2008, 9:12 PM   #15
Super Moderator

Ah, I thought you were saying no time for any PP at all, yes I'm with you on the not removing blemishes etc for these guys. I had one mum ask if I could help with her sons spots as there were pretty major so I sorted those out but in general nothing is needed.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 7:11 AM   #16

I go with the first one also. It just have an overall better look.
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 8:59 PM   #17

Like the first post....the lighting, appeals to me. But lighting in # 2 isn't bad either.

The concern I have and I don't know if it's my computer, but it doesn't seem clearly focused.

I recall as a parent, when my kids were on sports teams, as far as pix were concerned, clarity was an important factor to me.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2008, 8:57 PM   #18

if i had to vote, i would say #1. i just think the on camera strobes ie: sb600, or 430ex, or whatever, is just a little too strong in a small area for these types of shots,
yeah we use the 430s at work, but i have been using a studio strobe, and a small 1200 watt generator for my shots. i'm not stealing your thread, but here are 2 examples of some of mine.

here is one when the clouds took over

here is one i took at about 10:30 am and the sun was killing it!

airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote