Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 14, 2008, 1:50 PM   #1

Hello. I know this is not a good picture, however it is the closest I've been able to photograph a vulture in flight. It was taken with a 400mm lens with a 2x teleconverter. Problem is I've tried to improve it with photoshop and the results I get are worse than the original. I would like to crop it and improve focus; my attempts with unsharp mask did'nt work well (I know to start there is not good focus) however I've seen you people here do wonders with photoshop and I really would appreciate if some of you have the time to improve my vulture. Thanks!

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...l/DSC_7551.jpg
artmustel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2008, 3:17 PM   #2

Not Good??I see a good try. And.... the bird is not big enough to blow it up by 250%.

Not much small details to see then.

Not big enough to keep in in your current blue screen.

What you could do is ...keep your current bird size and cut maybe as: a long panorama view with the bird on the left of the picture.

Or....paste the bird in a nice sky with some clouds.

Any good?
feetjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 3:13 PM   #3

good suggestions!

Thanks.:lol:
Old Sep 24, 2008, 12:40 PM   #4

One thing I learned by quickly reading a few pages from a book about composition:

Square pictures are not very popular because somehow (depending on the subject(s)) your view is pushed towards the middle of the picture.

Or.... the sqaure size does not make' movements or lines stronger....

I suggested a panorama view for the bird right? If you do that....the long horizontal pictures strengthens the movements of the bird...as it flies towards the left to the right....your brain somehow sees it like that.

Ofcourse I have just reada few pages....so these are my thoughts... correct if I am wrong...1st step into learning...be open minded...like the bird...flying....but don't get pushed by all winds thought ... =)
feetjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2008, 1:55 PM   #5

You have a nice shot of a vulture which you just need to put in its environment. This is a quick, down and dirty effort. With the original you should be able to do much better. But you get the idea.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2008, 4:41 PM   #6

I love it, Bynx! Thanks a lot, that was great!
Old Sep 27, 2008, 8:05 AM   #7

BTW, if you want to get closer to a vulture, there are two methods.

1. Lay out in an open field, very still, with your mouth open and your eyes closed, and hope they are fooled.

2. Go near a tree line in an open field early in the morning where you have seen them before. They will be out, testing the thermals, and moving around at lower altitudes.

Often, in the morning and near dusk, they will congregate, and you will see several together.

The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 7:56 PM   #8

Barbarian, advice # 1 was great! (Even I will skip the shower for a couple of weeks before I try it)