Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 15, 2008, 5:41 PM   #1

Ran out to the San Juan Islands for dinner, yesterday. It's boat or plane territory only, I'll post more later, but right now the salmon are biting, so that trumps :-D

I took this shot of the moon rise over the marina (Roche Harbor). This is about as far northwest you can go in the continental United States, without being in Canadian waters.

We had to run back in total darkness, well, radar and chart plotter, but that moon really lit the way home once she got up higher...

I had to shoot through a lot of big boats, from our boat, as it was tied to the dock, for once I was underway, I lost all ability to get a crisp shot due to the rocking, etc...

How did I do, and how could I have improved on this handheld shot?

eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2008, 1:11 PM   #2

The first thing I would say is that the boat in the foreground is too disctracting and not really adding anything to the pic, if you could have gotten more moon reflection on the water and less boat in the frame it would work a little better.

Wintershooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 8:43 PM   #3

Yup, i agree. I feel like reaching into the pic and pushing that boat out of the way. Looks like you could have got a better shot if you moved about 5m to your right. A pic with a beautiful moon with reflection doesnt need too many other distractions.
Albot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 9:41 PM   #4

I'm far from being an expert, maybe I like this picture for that reason. I see it like an scene on a cluttered place, not as a landscape, where everything is in focus far to the moon. Looks just so natural, this are my very humble 2 cents, though. Very nice!!
artmustel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 10:03 AM   #5

Well...it does give you plenty to look at, and if you moved it aside, another would have taken its place :lol:

Here is the place we ate....

And another view of the shore as the sun cast the last of its golden rays upon it...

eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote