Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 8, 2008, 10:54 PM   #11

I just played with the portrait a bit, let me know if it works.

Attached Images

artmustel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2008, 12:42 AM   #12

RodneyBlair wrote:
Quote:
I have a few comments. Shoulders back with head tilted forward is a feminine posture so watch out for that in the future. If you'd like for me to share the proper posture for a masculine pose please do not hesitate to ask.

I realize this was probably just a quick shot for you to practice your new software. It would have been very helpful if you could have asked your model to quickly wipe his face with a cool damp cloth. Doing so would have removed the oil from the skin and prevented much of the shine on his face.

The image is way too sharp for someone who has skin problems. Hopefully, the sharpness was increased in the post process. If out of camera this sharp then it makes working with the original a bit more difficult.

Avoid clothing with distractive patterns. Again, I realize this was probably not a planned portrait.

The edit you provide is far too extreme and does not look natural. It looks "fixed". I realize you are just practicing with your new software.

On camera flash does not render good portraits. If the on camera flash is your only means then I suggest practicing with natural light. Using the on camera flash for fill and to clean up the color temp is okay.

Below is a quick edit for comparison.

Best regards,
Rodney Blair
I like what you have done with the young man's complexion. Very good. But the hair didn't work out as well. Seems unsharp. I suppose like everything there will always be a bit of a compromise.

I've worked on editing some of my complete pictures and I don't have the knack, yet..., hope I eventually get it.
Working on facial pictures just seems to leave my facial pictures look unnatural. I would be happy if I could match your adjustment of the complexion.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2008, 8:09 AM   #13

lesmore49 wrote:
Quote:
I like what you have done with the young man's complexion. Very good. But the hair didn't work out as well. Seems unsharp. I suppose like everything there will always be a bit of a compromise.

I've worked on editing some of my complete pictures and I don't have the knack, yet..., hope I eventually get it.
Working on facial pictures just seems to leave my facial pictures look unnatural. I would be happy if I could match your adjustment of the complexion.
Hello lesmore,

The edit I provided is intended to demonstrate a few comments I've made about the first edit provided. It was a quick edit and not intended as a final proof. There doesn't have to be a compromise. The hair can be as sharp as the photographer wants it. I didn't want to devote much time to the edit, however.

Best regards,
Rodney Blair
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote