At that time of life when hormones causes lots of skin blemishes

in teenagers, the portrait photographer has to pull out all the tricks

in editing so here's my grandson Thomas before and after

My verdict, great for a quick and easy way to enhance a portrait

open for C&C...............:|...........musket

musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2008, 2:39 AM   #2

That's an awesome software indeed, I learned thanks to Bynx! ...and really quick when comparedtoa pp session at PS!

In the first place I likedthe natural pose of the grandson you attained Fortunately The hormones you speak of also help running after theball:-)You seem to have followed the steps really successfully and (I think) applied theoverall effectdeliberately a bit much strong , almost'glamour'mode,so as to show the strength of the software!

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2008, 3:13 AM   #3

Yes I tried galmour mode in this one :-).........musket
Old Sep 22, 2008, 6:02 AM   #4

While you went for glamour mode, the results you achieved are very good. Knowing this was done with Portrait Pro makes us look closer than we normally would. Otherwise, this is just an excellent portrait.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2008, 1:44 AM   #5

I have a few comments. Shoulders back with head tilted forward is a feminine posture so watch out for that in the future. If you'd like for me to share the proper posture for a masculine pose please do not hesitate to ask.

I realize this was probably just a quick shot for you to practice your new software. It would have been very helpful if you could have asked your model to quickly wipe his face with a cool damp cloth. Doing so would have removed the oil from the skin and prevented much of the shine on his face.

The image is way too sharp for someone who has skin problems. Hopefully, the sharpness was increased in the post process. If out of camera this sharp then it makes working with the original a bit more difficult.

Avoid clothing with distractive patterns. Again, I realize this was probably not a planned portrait.

The edit you provide is far too extreme and does not look natural. It looks "fixed". I realize you are just practicing with your new software.

On camera flash does not render good portraits. If the on camera flash is your only means then I suggest practicing with natural light. Using the on camera flash for fill and to clean up the color temp is okay.

Below is a quick edit for comparison.

Best regards,
Rodney Blair
Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2008, 3:26 AM   #6

My eyes are dim I cannot see
I have not got my specs with me.
But here is my attempt.
Attached Images

Old Oct 8, 2008, 4:33 AM   #7

RodneyBlair wrote:
Quote:
I have a few comments. Shoulders back with head tilted forward is a feminine posture so watch out for that in the future. If you'd like for me to share the proper posture for a masculine pose please do not hesitate to ask.

I realize this was probably just a quick shot for you to practice your new software. It would have been very helpful if you could have asked your model to quickly wipe his face with a cool damp cloth. Doing so would have removed the oil from the skin and prevented much of the shine on his face.

The image is way too sharp for someone who has skin problems. Hopefully, the sharpness was increased in the post process. If out of camera this sharp then it makes working with the original a bit more difficult.

Avoid clothing with distractive patterns. Again, I realize this was probably not a planned portrait.

The edit you provide is far too extreme and does not look natural. It looks "fixed". I realize you are just practicing with your new software.

On camera flash does not render good portraits. If the on camera flash is your only means then I suggest practicing with natural light. Using the on camera flash for fill and to clean up the color temp is okay.

Below is a quick edit for comparison.

Best regards,
Rodney Blair

Yes a lot of good advice, The shot I took was processed along with others in a

batch with DXO hence the sharpness, not goodI realise that, for portraiture...the flash

was a SB800 bounced of the ceiling with the cap on giving some light forwards

it was a very quick shot not planned with regards toposture and the edit, quickly

put through the software to quickly get an idea what it does.

looking at your edit, mostnoticably the eyes and lips haven't lost the original look

a good clean up of the skin and the crop to avoid distracting clothing also noticed

yes a very good edit.....................musket.

Old Oct 8, 2008, 5:01 AM   #8

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
My eyes are dim I cannot see
I have not got my specs with me.
But here is my attempt.
Yes, a less flattering edit :-)also showing what the software does

:P...........musket
Old Oct 8, 2008, 2:16 PM   #9

Of the edits posted so far, I'd have to say I prefer my edit.:-) For the remaining 2 edits I prefer musket's edit even though it has a bit of a plastic look to it. Bynx's edit has way too much shine.

Don't get too carried away with software or actions that is intended to do the work for you. Explore and enjoy the many different techniques to achieve a particular result and even come up with some of your own. I'd never give the control of my final result to a program or script. I do enjoy seeing what your software can achieve though.

Best regards,
Rodney Blair
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2008, 9:11 PM   #10

I guess each to his own. I wanted detail and a 3D look. The subjects complexion has been fixed enough but not enough to look fake. He looks like an active teenage kid. I think both other versions have too much softness to the face and no detail at all in the hair. As for too much shine, keep in mind its taken with a full on flash.