Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 22, 2008, 3:10 PM   #1

My son and the car were shot in our local shopping mall. The background comes from google. I worked on each separately and together to get that 'look'. What do you think?
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2008, 4:19 PM   #2

Bynx,

I really like what you have done here. A very novel idea

A couple of nit picks. I seems the resolution in the background is lower than the foreground. Not a big problem though.

The thing that distracts the mostare the reflections of "modern life" in the car door when the settingisMonument Valley.

Mugmar
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2008, 5:27 PM   #3

Two good catches mugmar. The background, being a low res file from google was so small I had to blow it up quite a bit to fit the area that was needed to fill. I was hoping the door reflections were obscure enough not to be noticed but since you did then its back to the drawing board. I hope you checked out the Dave Hill site. After you see the WWE wrestlers photos there is a couple of videos showing the shoots. Its all pretty interesting.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 6:24 PM   #4

Wow! A real treat to your boy : ) I likedstark colour harmony thereStill, requires a little moreperspective job,imo, for the rightcorner of the boot seems a bit much raisedto my eyes:roll:
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2008, 7:09 PM   #5

Hey Bynx,

I missed the link to Dave Hill's web site. As for the "look" I think you are pretty darn close for a first attempt!!

After reading Bahadir's comment, I agree the car may be just a touch to large or at a strange angle to the background. It is really hard to make two pictures meld together, I know I've tried

Mugmar
Old Sep 22, 2008, 9:07 PM   #6

Although the angle of the car might seem odd its not really. It sat flat on the floor and I just stood and shot it. The background is shot from the same position. If anything you might think the car was on a bit of a slope as it was parked since the ground isnt all that flat in Monument Valley. Im hoping to work on this 'look' until I get it right. Thanks for your input Bahadir and Mugmar.
Looking at the picture again I realized that the perspective problem you see Bahadir is the hump behind the passenger headrest. There is a similar hump behind the drivers headrest as well but the lighting doesnt make it look as obvious. The two humps run down the boot from the headrests.
Ah, a picture is worth a thousand of my words.

Attached Images

Old Sep 23, 2008, 8:14 AM   #7

Yup, I can see that now. I did not realize he was sitting in a Saturn. What a nice little sports car!!!!

Mugmar
Old Sep 24, 2008, 3:38 AM   #8

Well done, and nicely put together, like something you might

see on a billboard..........musket
musket is offline   Reply With Quote