Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 6, 2008, 4:53 PM   #11

Isee tens of perfectly exposed images with superior lighting and image quality on TV guides everday! Ah, I admit I envy the photographer the ways/he attained it, in short hows/he managed to pull it off! But then I realise: I, too,havebeenbeguiled like some ladies looking at those images displaying perfect glimpses of charm!! onlyto become more unhappy. Actually how many of these pictures tell me about the photographer's inner and outer worlds, making me see the subject innew terms?I guess the question 'why'rather than'how', at this point, could serve better toone's aesthetical experience within one's mind, drawing an distinction between artistic and crafty meanwhile, which often fluctuates! Now,the question is that how much of thatpicture convey the mental imageof the subject inBynx's mind, before ithas beenreleased as an aesthetical object for our hungary perceptions? Obviously, there's much more than just a flatteringlikeness there, which does not (of course!!) necessarily involve'the hand' literally but further imagination through it! Thanks God even some perceptions which rejected it first due to its 'obscure origin' now tryingways to improve it! The further reasoning I hear the moreI remember aboutthe story of Blue Boy by Thomas Gainsborough
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2008, 7:26 PM   #12

I don't know if my opinion, as a newbe, may count. However, the subject is interesting enough and I feel obliged...

It is a very good portrait, Bynx. I like it, however I believe that you should take the advice of Mr. Blair regarding hand and ear. Of course we are talking about THIS take. I think hand here does not look very natural, so I would had left it out of the picture. Please take my comments only as spectator; I'm not a good photographer, but I like Mr. Blair's advice.
artmustel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2008, 7:52 PM   #13

Hello Brynx,

Thanks for sharing the original with us. I prefer that we do not share anything that may be embarrassing to our models, but since this is your son and the modifications are not extreme he shouldn't have a problem with it. Anyway, keep that thought in mind for the future.

I'd like to share a technique with you that would have been great for your son. I learned a long time ago that if we bring the highlights up as high as we can without blowing them that the majority of blemishes and other imperfections can be eliminated without the use of some of the harsh plastic looking techniques I often see. I prefer to achieve this with my original exposure, but you can make the modifications with levels or curves adjustments. If you enjoy working with layers then you can achieve about anything you like. Below is an example where I used the technique I mention and you can see that his skin isn't perfect, but relatively clean of blemishes and very unedited looking.

Best regards,
Rodney Blair
Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2008, 5:55 AM   #14

Well I think care needs taken in portraiture so as not to depict

incorrect sexual orientationthat wouldembarrass the subject.

Much of what we see coming from portrait photographers

is a tendency for the flavouring of the photographer and often

not to the liking or approvalof the subject, so consulting with the subject

and getting approval before a sitting sounds like a good idea

about the nature of the shots/poses and what qualities to emphasise

especially if you want them to buy/likethe results................musket.
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2008, 5:43 PM   #15

musket wrote:
Quote:
Well I think care needs taken in portraiture so as not to depict

incorrect sexual orientationthat wouldembarrass the subject.

Much of what we see coming from portrait photographers

is a tendency for the flavouring of the photographer and often

not to the liking or approvalof the subject, so consulting with the subject

and getting approval before a sitting sounds like a good idea

about the nature of the shots/poses and what qualities to emphasise

especially if you want them to buy/likethe results................musket.
I am glad your responded here, Musket. It was actually your post of your grandson's before and after the fix post that provoked me to make the comments I did. Hopefully, the child does not frequent this forum, but I don't want to get off topic of what this particular thread is about so I may post my thoughts on your thread.

When we "doctor up" portraits we want our models to feel that is how they actually look. My approach is this: Most flaws and blemishes a person has on their faces aren't noticed at first glance so those blemishes, whatever they may be, will get some touch-up work. Blemishes that are permanent such as a mole that is very noticeable at first glance will get some kind of softening or reduction technique, but not completely removed. Most often, the results we achieve with our lens is far more sharp than what the eye will see. Our brains are trained to make things look good so it makes many adjustments to the images our eyes receive. Anyway, the goal is to make our subjects look as good as possible without creating an entirely different person. Honestly, what is the point in that??

Best regards,
Rodney

FWIW I have never had an unsatisfied customer and I stay quite busy.

Old Oct 7, 2008, 6:47 PM   #16

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2008, 7:09 PM   #17

Hi Brynx,

Here is a quick edit to hopefully demonstrate some of my comments.

Rodney
Attached Images

Old Oct 7, 2008, 7:12 PM   #18

vIZnquest wrote
Quote:
The eyes, it's the eyes that needs to be made in my opinion the COI. The eyes look flat to me and they should sparkle with a catchlight. The edit does this to some extent.

Tom
Indeed it is all about the eyes! It's great to see you are still around, Tom.

Best regards,
Rodney Blair
Old Oct 7, 2008, 7:23 PM   #19

Thanks Rodney,

I do like the edit by the way.

Mahalo,

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2008, 8:44 AM   #20

Dear Bynx, having followed the tread I should say I find yourfirst picture (Kyle2FinalLR)still superior!

Despite his prejudice ofnot favouring 'hand placed on face' in general (not for this pictureonly) right from the start and thus bringing a like-dislike tone to discussion, Rodneyprovided some suggestions to consider. However, I wouldn't like your son to go such extreme as to cut off one of his ears like Van Gogh nor his hand,whichI consider a stronghold ofthesubject like that of the 'thinker', has almost anecrosislook!!Anyway, should youreadmysentences above you'll see I had mentioned about the the 'Blue Boy' by Thomas Gainsborough, an important anectode, imo, emphasizing the threat by trendiness and preoccupation prevalant among some artisans and,sadly, even academicians...Ah, 'one sided' half knowledge is another issue of course which is an obstacle for enjoying a work. One whose very passion is said to derivefrom that of the 'artistic' should havea refinedtaste and experience improved byhaving already appreciated portraits by time honoured masters like Reynolds, Frans Hals,etc. and, at least,aware ofsome time honoured tecniques such as sfumato before asking for clearance.By the wayglad to seeRobert'squestion about lighting was responded above.

Below is my take, which is easy to attain using the light effectsat PS. We all use various softwares to some extent, which all require skill determiningthe quality of the output. The one you're using is not an exception at which a starter is very likely to bungle withsuch a pose which isfar faraway from being aregular document type
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote