Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 9, 2008, 1:54 PM   #21

bahadir wrote:
Quote:

Dear Bynx, having followed the tread I should say I find yourfirst picture (Kyle2FinalLR)still superior!

Despite his prejudice ofnot favouring 'hand placed on face' in general (not for this pictureonly) right from the start and thus bringing a like-dislike tone to discussion, Rodneyprovided some suggestions to consider. However, I wouldn't like your son to go such extreme as to cut off one of his ears like Van Gogh nor his hand,whichI consider a stronghold ofthesubject like that of the 'thinker', has almost anecrosislook!!Anyway, should youreadmysentences above you'll see I had mentioned about the the 'Blue Boy' by Thomas Gainsborough, an important anectode, imo, emphasizing the threat by trendiness and preoccupation prevalant among some artisans and,sadly, even academicians...Ah, 'one sided' half knowledge is another issue of course which is an obstacle for enjoying a work. One whose very passion is said to derivefrom that of the 'artistic' should havea refinedtaste and experience improved byhaving already appreciated portraits by time honoured masters like Reynolds, Frans Hals,etc. and, at least,aware ofsome time honoured tecniques such as sfumato before asking for clearance.By the wayglad to seeRobert'squestion about lighting was responded above.

Below is my take, which is easy to attain using the light effectsat PS. We all use various softwares to some extent, which all require skill determiningthe quality of the output. The one you're using is not an exception at which a starter is very likely to bungle withsuch a pose which isfar faraway from being aregular document type
I am thrilled to see you got the message of my original comments. I certainly did not want to devote much time editing the work of someone else so I took the easy route and cropped the ear out of the scene to get my point across. The point was that the hand, ear and part of the neck was too bright leading the viewer away from the eyes. I suggest that beginners avoid shots with the hand up in the face because they cannot manipulate the light. You are entitled to like what you do, but that does not make this a good portrait composition. There have been a few times I've shot a portrait shot with the hand placed very similar, but I was usually getting the arm from a bent elbow resting on an object and I asked the model not to put pressure on their faces.

It fascinates me that you have to be so argumentative. I gave the original poster my point of view based on my training and experience in the field of portrait photography and rather than simply sharing your own point of view you attempt to either discredit me or start some kind of argument. I believe the photographer can decide how he would like to edit his photo based on the suggestions without you getting your panties knotted up about it.

Now, if you will adjust the color of the ear, it will be a winner.

Best regards,
Rodney Blair
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2008, 5:42 PM   #22

RodneyBlair wrote:
Quote:
... I believe the photographer can decide how he would like to edit his photo based on the suggestions without you getting your panties knotted up about it...
Again 'another innuendo from the innuendo man' as it had been put by someone who knew your manners well, Mr. Rodney Blair!

Indeed very bold words for someone with your interests!Judging fromyour unqualified words, you must know best what you're speaking about regarding some gallery of yours (at pbase.com) ofthe young males you've abused so as to arise the appeal of your more regular customers ; ) Once a mate wrote:'the ethics always comes in ahead of the estethics'both of whichseem to bequite lacking there.Well, keep it up:!:

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2008, 7:12 PM   #23

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
RodneyBlair wrote:
Quote:
... I believe the photographer can decide how he would like to edit his photo based on the suggestions without you getting your panties knotted up about it...
Again 'another innuendo from the innuendo man' as it had been put by someone who knew your manners well, Mr. Rodney Blair!

Indeed very bold words for someone with your interests!Judging fromyour unqualified words, you must know best what you're speaking about regarding some gallery of yours (at pbase.com) ofthe young males you've abused so as to arise the appeal of your more regular customers ; ) Once a mate wrote:'the ethics always comes in ahead of the estethics'both of whichseem to bequite lacking there.Well, keep it up:!:

LOL Man, you are a nut!
Old Oct 9, 2008, 8:18 PM   #24

It is sad to see this kind of argument in this place; I hope it won't become a trend!
artmustel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2008, 8:30 PM   #25

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2008, 8:57 PM   #26

I dont know you Viznquest but I do know that you havent made any kind remarks about anything Ive done. So I expect no more from you. And I hope I get no more from you.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2008, 4:19 AM   #27

Hello Bynx,

I apologize that your thread has become the place for negative comments, but that is fine as long as you are getting something for your efforts. I rarely participate here because of that kind of behavior, but occasionally, I will check in and recognize someone with talent and will offer some suggestions. Interestingly, the C&T forum was started because of me and I am the one who gave it the name, but the majority of people here do not want to improve their photography skills. It's just a place to share photos.

You are the artist and your work should always be your own composition and your own interpretation of the subject. Usually my critiques will be strictly about the "rules" rather than my own personal preferences, though I'll often demonstrate my comments with some of my own work.

You are talented and your work is very good. Truthfully, if I had not seen your post I would have never bothered to participate on the forum...I would have moved on.

Best regards,
Rodney Blair
Old Oct 10, 2008, 1:36 PM   #28

Bynx,

Wow, what a thread. . . Going back to the picture (sorry I did not see it sooner.) I like the shot. I can see your son is deep in thought. The hand adds to that feeling. (it' pretty obvious whom the hand belongs to).

The only thing I see that would improve the shot is to lighten his right eye just a touch and maybe crop a bit of the dead space off the left.

Mugmar
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2008, 7:14 PM   #29

I wish I had some formal training in photography. I have my own ideas about things and they centre around what I see and my way of thinking. Since I did a tight crop on the top and bottom of my sons face I thought the space to the left would psychologically make the picture look a little more loose and make the cropped areas less noticeable. Cutting off the left side will emphasize the cropping. By the way, the picture is full frame with no actual cropping except when I took the picture. I never addressed any individual areas of the photo for correction but treated it overall. Areas such as his hand has been suggested to have darkened to de-emphasize it from his eyes. The same for his ear. As a side note.....when I take a picture I actually look into the viewfinder before I shoot it and do the composing, lighting and any cropping then. I hardly ever crop a picture after its taken. This said, after the fact, and suggestions are made, sometimes I see what I missed and am only to happy to correct it. Thanks all for your input.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2008, 5:12 AM   #30

Hi Bynx,

I used to always frame my pictures exactly the way I wanted them in camera too. I'd prefer to do it that way. Unfortunately, if you do not allow some room from cropping printing different sizes becomes a huge challenge. Always allow some room for cropping your image unless you are certain how it will be used.

Best regards,
Rodney Blair