Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 5, 2008, 8:53 PM   #1

Using a variety of plugins and stand alone apps I came up with this look. Whats your opinion?
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2008, 1:02 AM   #2

Very nicely done, Bynx. Artificial or natural light? Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2008, 3:18 AM   #3

Hi Brynx,

I assume when you ask what our opinions about the look you are referring to the lighting style. With that in mind, I like the look you hope to achieve.

In your low key scene you have to ask yourself what is my center of interest(COI) then decide how to achieve that then determine if the results meet your expectations. In a low key scene the brightest elements will be the center of interest. What are the brightest elements in your scene?

I've never been a big fan of a hand placed on the face appearing as if it comes from nowhere and possibly doesn't even belong to the subject. :-)

I'll not share dozens of suggestions because I'd like to get a good discussion going and you've provided a nice shot to do just that with. I went through some files that I have for sharing on the forums and found one most similar to the style I think you are after(lighting wise). You provide an example for broad lighting while I provide a short lighting example.

For the record, I do not use plugins or fancy software to achieve my results. In fact, I no longer even have PhotoShop installed on my computer. :-)

Thanks for sharing,
Rodney
Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2008, 5:12 AM   #4

Solifelike as if he's there in front of me, like a portrait by Titian!

I consider hands the projections of the mind, so I would quite welcome the subject'shand beingin the frame (not compulsorythough!)

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2008, 6:07 AM   #5

So, you are saying that since the hand is a projection of the mind, it should be on his face and the COI? If the hand must be there, then one must execute it properly.

As is, it doesn't make a good portrait, though the image as a whole has several good qualities.

Rodney
Old Oct 6, 2008, 7:27 AM   #6

Thats why I posted this pic. Im not sure about the hand. I want more in the pic than a decapitated head. I wanted a casual, almost spontaneous look as if he were just watching what I was doing when the pic was taken. The hand suggests there is more that leads outside the pic area. My son was sitting in a small chair beside the patio door. Just the indirect sunlight lit up the side of his face. I used Portrait Pro to 'clean up' his complexion. Then I used Lucis plugin to bring back a bit of the detail. Also to sharpen the eyes and bring out a bit of the shine. I appreciate your comments.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 7:37 AM   #7

RodneyBlair wrote:
Quote:
So, you are saying that since the hand is a projection of the mind, it should be on his face and the COI? If the hand must be there, then one must execute it properly.

As is, it doesn't make a good portrait, though the image as a whole has several good qualities.

Rodney
Rodney, I believe it wasalready a plain sententence I wrote, buttheinterpretation above oversimplifies it!I wonder howyou think I find it necessary that the hand must be on the face, relying on an understandable expression that I find the hands projection of the mind...Read twice:''I would quite welcome the subject'shand beingin the frame (not compulsorythough!)''
And as for executing it, I think there is no false reasonto like it, but there could be some wrong reasons to dislike it due to some subjective innuendo
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2008, 8:22 AM   #8

Check it out dude....I like vanilla and chocolate, whoa.

I'll assume by your revelation of no tweaking you're a purist and only eat your own churned....eh?

Bynx, it's a good portrait, and I think discerning minds can understand where the hand comes from....geez.
eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2008, 11:35 AM   #9

Hello Brynx,

The idea behind my comments was to set the stage for good constructive criticism rather the usual, I do or don't like it. I've followed previous posts and you seem to be someone who is striving to render professional results in both your photography and finishing techniques. Anyway, I opened this up for comments to help you achieve the results you are after, but instead, the focus have been on my comments.

As I mentioned I do not care for the hand in the face when it is a tight shot as this. That doesn't mean that you cannot do it and achieve professional results if you like it. I wanted everyone to see what is not appealing in the image and since I do little editing(hence my comment) I was hopeful someone else would have a go at it. For the hand in the face and why it is a distraction rather than a complementing element: The brightest element in the low key scene will be the center of interest and that is compounded greatly when that element is the element closest to the lens. If I were to shoot the exact same shot in the studio, I would flag off some of the light that would hit the hand and the subjects ear. As is, the viewer is quickly drawn to the hand and the eyes follow from the thumb across the neck to the ear. I shared an example thinking someone might get a few ideas of easy fixes. I'll list a couple:
  1. Your subject has nice facial features so don't hesitate to crop a little tighter on the right(subjects left) side to completely eliminate the ear from the portrait.
    [/*]
  2. Use layers and adjust however you choose...there are many ways to do this, but burn the hand so that it is slightly darker than the face.
    [/*]
  3. Increase the highlights in the eyes and again there are many ways to achieve this.
    [/*]

Once you have performed the above adjustments so that the adjustments are not detectable then you have a winner that will look as professional as the best of the best.

To simplify this...The eyes should be the brightest element in this scene. That is a rule that cannot be broken unless there is another element you wish to have as the center of interest.

Best regards,
Rodney Blair
Old Oct 6, 2008, 2:46 PM   #10

This is coming along nicely and Im learning much. Here is the original untouched file.

Attached Images