Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 7, 2008, 3:45 PM   #1

Shooting landscape-style photos today was very frustrating. I was trying to give my new Canon XSi a workout, but the results came up blurry on the computer screen. The problem is very noticeable when zoomed to 100% in Photoshop... I'm not sure if it's apparent here, but the trees on the other side of the green are lacking sharpness and clarity.

This problem is even more difficult to swallow considering that shots I took of the same scene with a PowerShot A560 came out much better.

I realize the colors are somewhat dull... aside from resizing, the shot below is straight out of the camera. But I thought I had the settings right -higher f-stop number, longer depth of field, etc. And it's mind-boggling to see the A560 version show up more clearly on-screen when the shutter speed and apature settings are in the same ballpark for both cameras.

Suggestions? I'm confused.
Attached Images

Boldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2008, 6:35 PM   #2
Super Moderator

It would be good to see a photo of the 100% crop on the trees so we can see how bad things are.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"In general a P&S is going to apply a lot more sharpening than a DSLR which could be a lot of your problem. It could also be a soft lens but not as likely as the former.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2008, 7:01 PM   #3

It could also depend greatly on which focus point the camera chose. If focus was on the ground near you that would explain the trees behind the green not having as much sharpness. You were only at f10 and that's a LOT of depth-of-field if your focus point was on the ground near your position. Combined with the DSLRs softer in-camera processing would be my suggestion for the culprit.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2008, 9:51 PM   #4

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
It would be good to see a photo of the 100% crop on the trees so we can see how bad things are.
I'll post 100% magnifications of what I'm talking about... for both the XSi and the A560. I look forward to your input.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 9:53 PM   #5

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
It could also depend greatly on which focus point the camera chose. If focus was on the ground near you that would explain the trees behind the green not having as much sharpness. You were only at f10 and that's a LOT of depth-of-field if your focus point was on the ground near your position. Combined with the DSLRs softer in-camera processing would be my suggestion for the culprit.
I was under the impression that F-10 was a HUGE depth of field. Shouldn't everything be in focus at that apature? Very confusing.

I'll post some more pics here tomorrow when I have time to crop and re-size. I hope you guys will continue to provide input. Steve's is my lifeblood in this learning curve.

Thanks again.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 10:04 PM   #6

A560 version
Attached Images

Old Oct 7, 2008, 10:06 PM   #7

XSi version
Attached Images

Old Oct 7, 2008, 10:19 PM   #8

Generally you will get a greater DOF on the point-n-shoot digicams than a DSLR. I'd suspect you'd need to be at close to F22 on your DSLR to achieve similar DOF as the A560 at F11.

Are you using a tripod? What is your shutter speed?

Best regards,
Rodney Blair
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2008, 10:24 PM   #9

RodneyBlair wrote:
Quote:
Generally you will get a greater DOF on the point-n-shoot digicams than a DSLR. I'd suspect you'd need to be at close to F22 on your DSLR to achieve similar DOF as the A560 at F11.

Are you using a tripod? What is your shutter speed?
That's interesting input. So F-8 on the point-and-shoot is not F-8 on my DSLR? Weird.

No, I'm not using a tripod. My initial thinking was that my new DSLR should capture photos of at least the same quality of a point-and-shoot....

I wasn't keeping track of shutter speed. I'm still learning. And I'm still frustrated that a PAS would take better photos than my DSLR....

Old Oct 7, 2008, 10:50 PM   #10

Boldstar wrote:
Quote:
That's interesting input. So F-8 on the point-and-shoot is not F-8 on my DSLR? Weird.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"No, I'm not using a tripod. My initial thinking was that my new DSLR should capture photos of at least the same quality of a point-and-shoot....

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I wasn't keeping track of shutter speed. I'm still learning. And I'm still frustrated that a PAS would take better photos than my DSLR....
No, No. F8 will be basically the same with regard to the amount of light that can enter the lens, but not nescessarily the same DOF. If I am not mistaken, the number of lens elements also is a factor, but I'm not a lens expert. Possibly someone with knowledge on the subject will chime in.

Best regards,
Rodney Blair
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote