Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 8, 2008, 9:19 AM   #1

I didn't want to hijack Eddie Haskell's thread so I'll post this image here. I am posting this image to demonstrate my suggestion to have more light on the background elements. A good mixture of colors, highlights and shadows in the out of focus background can create a very nice stage for your flowers.

Rodney
Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2008, 7:56 PM   #2

Thanks Rodney

I only have a toy camera, but I tried anyway :|

eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2008, 3:46 AM   #3

Awesome colors, Eddie. I believe the 3rd image is my favorite.

Toy cameras take some awesome pictures. I still have a Fujifilm Finepix s602 in my collection that I use quite regular.

Do you have a program to edit your pictures?

Rodney
Old Oct 10, 2008, 9:31 AM   #4

Yes...I have PS 4.0 but don't know how to use 99% of it :O

Here are a few more......

eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2008, 9:38 AM   #5

Okay, that last shot in the second series is awesome!

There are lots of PS gurus on here so maybe they will chime in and offer some instructions about blurring the background. I rarely do that and when I do I doubt I take any shortcuts that will be helpful to you. If they do offer us some tips, hopefully the moderators will not move our thread. :-)

Thanks for sharing!

Rodney
Old Oct 13, 2008, 12:48 PM   #6

Rodney, thats a great shot!

Of the rest of the shots, I find the last one very good as well. The rest of them are good, but there's usually just one element preventing them from being better, like branches in front of the flower, or a too deep DOF. All of them are good non the less.
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2008, 12:58 PM   #7

Carrots wrote:
Quote:
Rodney, thats a great shot!

Of the rest of the shots, I find the last one very good as well. The rest of them are good, but there's usually just one element preventing them from being better, like branches in front of the flower, or a too deep DOF. All of them are good non the less.
I agree with your comments. Eddie has presented a nice group of images here and I look forward to seeing more of his work.

Rodney
Old Oct 14, 2008, 7:08 AM   #8

RodneyBlair wrote:
Quote:
I didn't want to hijack Eddie Haskell's thread so I'll post this image here. I am posting this image to demonstrate my suggestion to have more light on the background elements. A good mixture of colors, highlights and shadows in the out of focus background can create a very nice stage for your flowers.

Rodney
Nice shot Rodney, but it looks a little over sharpened and the lower left corner needs to be burned in a touch.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2008, 10:52 AM   #9

The last few days has been pretty interesting around here. Not so much trouble since the last time I almost quit. Now without any b.s. please answer me this......What is the purpose of a photograph? I know there are many, but Im talking about the basic purpose. I ask this because I see criticism of sharpness, bokeh, background, COI, Rule of Turds, oops, Thirds. All these 'rules' were set down by people experimenting. I dont like the idea of being able to dissect something in terms of whether it meets the rule or not. So at its basic level...What is the purpose of a photograph?
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2008, 2:05 PM   #10

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
The last few days has been pretty interesting around here. Not so much trouble since the last time I almost quit. Now without any b.s. please answer me this......What is the purpose of a photograph? I know there are many, but Im talking about the basic purpose. I ask this because I see criticism of sharpness, bokeh, background, COI, Rule of Turds, oops, Thirds. All these 'rules' were set down by people experimenting. I dont like the idea of being able to dissect something in terms of whether it meets the rule or not. So at its basic level...What is the purpose of a photograph?
Our rules in photography aren't derived from our trial and error experiments. They are adaptations of the styles of the Old Masters such as Rembrandt. Study some of the Old Master's work and you'll quickly see where our rules originate and for a good reason.

Sharpness I believe is most often overdone in digital photography. Almost every digital image I see and render is far sharper than the eyes would normally see.

As you noted there are many purposes of photography, but most often it is to capture the essence of the subject.