Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 12, 2008, 8:16 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
RodneyBlair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 966
Default

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
Its a cute shot, I'm still trying to work out how to define EFFECTIVE. As far as i can tell a photo is effective as long as it does the job it was supposed to, whether it is technically perfect or not.
LOL...You crack me up sometimes. You are the viewer so you should be able to decide what makes it effective or not for you eyes. Do you find you are quickly drawn to the front of her face or eyes? If so, then in that respect it is effective. If you find your eyes are most attracted to the basket, then I have failed.

On the forum I generally prefer to stick to how we use contrast to lead the viewer where we want them to be.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2008, 8:30 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
aladyforty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,964
Default

RodneyBlair wrote:
Quote:
aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
Its a cute shot, I'm still trying to work out how to define EFFECTIVE. As far as i can tell a photo is effective as long as it does the job it was supposed to, whether it is technically perfect or not.
LOL...You crack me up sometimes. You are the viewer so you should be able to decide what makes it effective or not for you eyes. Do you find you are quickly drawn to the front of her face or eyes? If so, then in that respect it is effective. If you find your eyes are most attracted to the basket, then I have failed.

On the forum I generally prefer to stick to how we use contrast to lead the viewer where we want them to be.

Rodney
I was drawn to the dress and the toy she was holding, then her face
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2008, 9:07 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
RodneyBlair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 966
Default

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
I was drawn to the dress and the toy she was holding, then her face
Okay now we might be getting somewhere. Why the dress? Is it because of the busy pattern?

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2008, 9:21 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,974
Default

I like the shot very much. Being that this was to be a shot of her with supporting elements it took a life of its own and the scattering of toys and catching her in the middle of her unloading the basket to find something better is what I see in this capture.

It shows how she already discarded one which is by her right foot.The scene itself is a well exposed, sharp, color correct shot.

The facial expression caught is not overly expressive but her eyes are full of mischief that goes along with what she is doing.

Rather than gather up the toys and start all over again, I believe you decided to make the most of the situation as it unfolded before you.


vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2008, 9:31 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
aladyforty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,964
Default

RodneyBlair wrote:
Quote:
aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
I was drawn to the dress and the toy she was holding, then her face
Okay now we might be getting somewhere. Why the dress? Is it because of the busy pattern?

Rodney
OK collar on dress with the green zig zag pattern distracted me, that led to me looking at what was in her hand, cute kid so then looked at her face. Then down to see why she had reached forward
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2008, 10:02 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
RodneyBlair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 966
Default

You say, "cute kid so you then looked at her face". You wouldn't have known she was a cute kid had you not seen the face first. Here is what happened when the pic first popped up on the monitor in front of you. Your eyes went directly to her face and then moved downward to the doll in her hand, down to the shoes and the eyes catch a glimpse of the doll near her foot then they find the basket and investigate what is there and back to the face.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2008, 10:49 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
aladyforty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,964
Default

so you are telling me how I saw the shot, I gather there is no need to add further comment as the first thing I noticed was the dress. I mentioned she was a cute because she is.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2008, 11:56 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Ollie77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 358
Default

Actually the first thing you notice is the dress. Why? Because in the overall frame it is so prominent. And because the lighting in the shot is rather encompassing with no real depth to it, it makes the shot look flat. Not fully, and this to me is due to the items at her feet and the basket that give the image a more three dimensional feel, but only slightly. However the face isn't the first place I looked either.

The other thing is that because you have what looks like a discarded toy, i.e the doll at her feet and then you have one in her hands along with a basket load of other toys to choose from, it makes me think that she is a little spoilt. That is at least the story I read from this shot.

The expression is one of, hey you caught me with my hand in the cookie jar expression and I think that perhaps it could have been done better. Especially considering what else is being conveyed in the image.

Overall it isn't a shot that I would choose to frame. It reminds of those images that come with frames you buy from the frame section in k-mart that have a photo already in them. Those images you quickly rip out and put in something more pleasing.

Ollie


Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2008, 1:22 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 636
Default

Rodney....I find the dress pattern is too busy, especially on herright (viewers left) as it fades into the dark background....not a lot, but it does make me fight for eye control ever-so slightly.

Now...if this child was of majority status, and her dress was cut low, into a deep vee neckline, revealing...well, heck.....

I don't think I'd be drawn to her face :-)
eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2008, 2:59 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
bahadir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Izmir, Turkey
Posts: 6,263
Default

Ollie77 wrote:
Quote:
....Overall it isn't a shot that I would choose to frame. It reminds of those images that come with frames you buy from the frame section in k-mart that have a photo already in them. Those images you quickly rip out and put in something more pleasing.
Still, you can be quite happy with the result Rodney,because you have reached tothe heights where half knowledge and snobbishness can bring one!Perhaps you can start burning the dress as you once advised someone Trust me, itwon't look worse than on human skin! You must have already read the comments here and in the comperable'mono portraits' thread from the ones both artistically and technically superior mates than yourselfwhile feeling the taste of the medicine you claimed to provide to the ones here at C & T forum withthe following expression of yours: '' I will check in and recognize someone with talent and will offer some suggestions. The C&T forum was started because of me and I am the one who gave it the name, but the majority of people here do not want to improve their photography skills ''

You see, it takesmore than one compartmenteither to realise or to appreciate atrue work,your single omnipotent(!)COI parameter centered around a big shaft can hardlyhandle!

Regards,

Bahadır
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 AM.