Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 12, 2008, 11:20 AM   #1

To sharpen or not to sharpen that is the question :-)

reasons for and against please also open to C&C

This is the town hall Portrush

...........:roll:.............musket
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2008, 11:43 AM   #2

Beautiful shot! I'd sharpen it a tad, give it a tad more warmth and place it on a nice drop shadow for presentation.

Here is what the suggestions look like.

Thanks for sharing.

Rodney
Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2008, 1:30 PM   #3

RodneyBlair wrote:
Quote:
Beautiful shot! I'd sharpen it a tad, give it a tad more warmth and place it on a nice drop shadow for presentation.

Here is what the suggestions look like.

Thanks for sharing.

Rodney
Great edit......................musket
Old Oct 12, 2008, 3:06 PM   #4

Second try :-)warmed a little, sharpened and added drop shadow

..............................musket
Old Oct 12, 2008, 3:25 PM   #5

Others may not agree, but I think you have done a fine job with the composition, editing and presentation. I like your background color choice. The eye quickly focuses on your intended COI and you have nice elements for the viewer to find. The non static lines entertain the viewer without being distractions.

Beautiful!

Rodney
Old Oct 14, 2008, 3:02 PM   #6

I like both the original and the edit. I'm not one for borders, although it does make it look nicer on the web.
btw... its the UK... its not supposed to be warm

It looks pretty sharp on my monitor, but LCD's apply their own sharpening so I have lost my ability to really judge sharpness. I would say leave it as is. If you wanted to go for a more gritty look then sharpening would have been a good idea I think.
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 12:35 PM   #7

The problem I have with sharpening is the same as the problem I have with color saturation -- if I boost either and ask myself which I prefer, I always choose the boosted one. But I always end up finding the picture less interesting somehow after I've done it. Maybe it's just me, but there is something I find meritricious about such manipulations more often than not. I've come to the view that I'm happier leaving the original composition unsharpened and unsaturated. The photo won't look like it was cut from the pages of National Geographic, but it feels more real to me somehow.

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2008, 1:16 PM   #8

Hm,

interesting question. I often look for sharpness in the means of "detail" in images, so if that's what you are asking about, I'd go this route (see below). I concentrated on emphasizing the details and changed color and overall feeling to help with that. As for framing I choosed a medium dark grey and added a small light grey border just to set photo and caption apart.

Reason for such an attempt could be that you explicitely want to show the wall and roof structure rather and put the town hall more in the center of attention.

Regards,
Th.

Attached Images

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2008, 1:41 PM   #9

A border or matte should compliment the image without being a distraction. It servers several purposes, but the important one is that is serves as a buffer between the picture and the wall it hangs on. A good buffer will prevent the wall or frame from becoming distractions. Where the picture will hang is a consideration too because quite often we want the picture to compliment the decor. As is, the white around the image is a distraction in the last edit presented. There are many shades that could be used though I picked the same color as the text for simplicity.

Rodney
Attached Images

Old Oct 22, 2008, 2:08 PM   #10

Reason against a sharpening would be, that you just want to show the building itself, more like an entity of it's own. I'll attach another file to show what I mean. Details are really non-important here, still the main theme is intact.

Have fun,
Th.
Attached Images

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote