Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 12, 2008, 9:57 PM   #1

whenever my niece comes for a visit I will beg a session with her. she is perfectly at home in front of my camera.
Attached Images

Donna A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2008, 10:26 PM   #2

Hi Donna,

I had already taken a look at your gallery and you have some very nice portraits. You have a lot going on in this one, but overall it is a very pleasing portrait. How do you feel about a tighter crop and a white vignette? Without discussing the particulars here is a quick edit for you to ponder.

Rodney
Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2008, 10:54 PM   #3

looks nice....thanks for commenting
Donna A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2008, 11:02 PM   #4

Nice portrait. You've dealt well with something that has given me trouble at times...spotty lighting coming through the trees. I like Rodney's suggestion of the tighter crop, but I like the contrast with the tree trunk offered in the original better than the white vignette.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2008, 2:27 AM   #5

Lovely shot Donna.

While the edit has merit I feel the color is compromised in the complexion, which I feel truly sets up her expression in the original in a very complimentary way!

Gorgeous hair too, and the halo's blown effect somewhat subtracts from that as well.

Super shot!

Lawquepicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2008, 7:28 AM   #6

she is a beautiful subject, a really nice shot, I quite like Rodney's edit as well.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2008, 9:32 AM   #7

Donna is a competent portrait photographer so I provided an edit so that she can compare the 2 images and see where the distractions are. I'm leaving it up to her to decide how to most effectively isolate her subject and bring out the face. We first have to recognize what we did wrong in our images then we learn to asses the scene before we take a picture. Our eyes will automatically balance everything out, but the camera will not. I'd bet Donna never noticed the brightness to the subject's left. In fact I know she didn't because as I said, she is a competent photographer.

The reason I cropped the way that I did is because the arms looked awkward and I am not a big fan of cropping at the waist, neck, knees or ankles. I believe the original crop makes the subject look somewhat weak or less confident of herself.

If this were a photo I had taken and possibly was offering it as a proof for print purchases I doubt I would use vignetting. I am not a fan of vignetting. It is effective for demonstration in this thread, however. The dark tree, dark top, dark blond hair and shadows are all low key elements with a large bright bright background area. The bright background area becomes the main attraction. My edit bumps up the tones a bit and the result is that her hair is now a nice frame for her face.

Best regards,
Rodney Blair
Old Oct 13, 2008, 10:09 AM   #8

I did a quick edit the way I would do it Donna, probably not right but here it is

Old Oct 13, 2008, 10:14 AM   #9

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
I did a quick edit the way I would do it Donna, probably not right but here it is

I like your edit...the only thing that still bugs me is the darkness coming out the right side of her head. If you can tone that down a tad without it being obviously worked on then I think it will be close to perfect.

Rodney
Old Oct 13, 2008, 10:18 AM   #10

RodneyBlair wrote:
Quote:
aladyforty wrote:
Quote:

I like your edit...the only thing that still bugs me is the darkness coming out the right side of her head. If you can tone that down a tad without it being obviously worked on then I think it will be close to perfect.

Rodney
don't think I can do much else, I'm still trying to deal with my confusion over COI Vs contrast Vs light and composition on my own portraits, Donna's are always way ahead of anything I can do.