Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 13, 2008, 6:56 PM   #1

This birdie seems worried because the income winter; I took this one today with my D40 and 55-200mm zoom. Critiques, please...thanks!
Attached Images

artmustel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2008, 7:12 PM   #2

Great shot Art. The pose, the focus. Not much to improve except perhaps for some deeper saturation of color. Other than that I love it. I dont know how this will send but it looks right on my monitor. But I do notice a big difference between what I send and what I see when it gets there.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2008, 8:05 PM   #3

I would like to learn how to do that, Bynx...thanks!
Old Oct 13, 2008, 8:13 PM   #4

Hello Art,

You have a nice shot here. I like your original better than I like the edit. The edit looks too processed and too saturated to me. I gave bird photography a try and it didn't take me long to give up on it.

I'm not very familiar with your camera, but if you can use a hot shoe flash and you have one, give it a try sometimes. Though it will not reach long distances, it will give more life to the birds eyes from a good distance away.

Thanks for sharing.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2008, 8:35 PM   #5

With the change that happens to files I post I cant rely on what Im seeing or what you are seeing as compared to the intended original. As I see both versions now, your original Art, appears a bit too soft. I see in my edit that there is some pop to it and a bit of sharpness. However Im not sure if that really comes across on anyone elses monitor. What do you prefer Art?
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2008, 9:09 PM   #6

Bynx, I like both. Your edit has better focus or sharpness. And focus is an issue for me, as I told you in a different post. I don't know if it is something with my eyes (although in this bird shot I used autofocus). Sometimes I'd like to blame my camera...since I've tried with different lenses and results are almost the same.

Rodney, thanks a lot for the tip on using flash...I just believed that using it would not help because objects distance, but what you told me about "ligt in the eyes" sounds very interesting and I will try it next time.

Thanks!!!